Urch Forums

560 (Q 49, V 19) to 690 ( Q 50, V32)

Aimhighest

What a relieve, 130 points improvement in one month is above my expectation.

First of all, I would like to thank you Erin for creating this great site. Needless to say, Bob, you are the real contributor of this site. Your comment and lesson are invaluable. Moreover, shaq and should, you guys offer insightful discussions. Still others such as TwinnSplitter, Clintonn, and tictaktoe, you gave us the best GMAT information and material. Finally, thank you everyone.

Test date: 26/10/06 ---> Q49 (90%), V19 (17%)

Test date: 28/11/06 ---> Q50 (95%), V32 (66%)

I believe that time and stress management play important roles in a test.

Nothing too say much about quant since it is my strongest area. For verbal, it is a bad dream for me.

Material

SC: Manhattan and Princeton Verbal Workout are the must.

CR: A lot of practices with LSAT since I remember most questions from OG.

RC: Didn't do much. Try to read 2 articles from Economist everyday.

IMO, OG is not that helpful for me. I found that OG questions are too easy comparing with the real test. After my first attempt, I decide to leave OG and practice a lot from 1000SC (really good) and LSAT (also good). Since I know that my strategy did not work (know from my first score hehe..), I decide to follow strategy of Twinsplitter:

How to Decide Which Aspects to Target First and For How Long:

I believe that, in general, 2 weeks on a specific subject will give you an absolutely solid grasp on it. However, if there are some sections that you feel need more work than others (i.e. if you're strong in CR but weak in SC), then you could spend only one week on the one you're strong at and 3 weeks on your weakness.

In my opinion, it is best to put quant first for two reasons:

1) this site has a lot of great quant questions/resources, and it's easier to utilize them if you're caught up and fresh in quant,

2) Quant is the easiest to keep fresh by doing a few problems a day, so if you put it in the beginning then you still probably won't forget most of it by the time the test comes around.

As far as what to put second, I believe that it is best to put your biggest weakness in verbal second. Why? Because the topics you put near the beginning will be the ones you get the most practice on, since you'll spend 2 weeks targeting them and then will also do 10 questions a day in these topics from then on.

In other words, here's the prep plan I would recommend to most people:

Quant (2 weeks)

Biggest Verbal Weakness (2-3 weeks)

2nd Biggest Verbal Weakness (2 weeks)

Verbal Strength (1-2 weeks)

All Types of Questions, General Prep, and Practice Tests (2 weeks)

For a total of about 10 weeks.

This strategy is proved to be very effective for me. However, my time line is only 1 months. So, I used 2 first weeks dealing with SC, another week for CR, and last week for all verbal.

I also found that GMAT Sets (can be found somewhere from this site) are very helpful. You should simulate real test situation when practice (75 mins for Q/ 10 mins brake/ 75 mins for V). This will help you deal with time and stress. However, I did only 3 GMAT Sets because I ran out of time. I just got GMAT Sets 1 week before the exam.

Hope that my debrief will be helpful for any one trying to take the test again. I believe that with your determination and good strategy everyone can beat the GMAT.

Cheers!:tup:

Congrats, Its nice to see your jump of 130. Actually I am scheduled for 1 dec test however looking at the low verbal score unwillingly going to reschedule the same. I am getting almost the similar score as you got in your first attepmt. RC is troubling me the most followd by SC.

I feel your tips are realy helpful.

Thanks guys!

For skarya

I found that quant is easier than my first attempt, but a bit more tricky especially on DS. I have to think twice this time. However, I can get every quant question done on time. On my first attempt, I could not finish them on time, guess about last 5-6 questions.

For verbal, I guess about last 10 questions in my first attempt, however, only 5 questions this time.

I really believe that time and stress management help me a lot this time. I do not panic and can keep myself calm during test. You can build stamina by studying 3-4 hours in a row with a little brake, like 10 minutes. (I learn this trick from somebody around here. ^_^) It works for me.

Another important thing is studying strategy. Find one that suit yourself and stick to it. I owe a great deal to Twinsplitter. His strategy helps me a lot.

HTH!

Any questions welcome. I'll try to help you just as you guys used to help me. All the best.