Urch Forums

760 (q49, V44)

tank

760 (Q49, V44)

It’s finally done. Couldn’t have asked for more.

Thanks to all past and present contributors for all the great questions and help during my preparation. This is indeed a great forum - Erin, thanks for setting it up.

Congratulations!

no offense, from searching thru your previous post in this forum, you seems to get most of the answers wrong in the verbal part. how did you manage to get 44 in verbal on the real test? can't wait for your debrief on how your improve it.

Thanks everyone.

On the whole the test was pretty similar to the OG - a good mix of questions from the hard and medium difficulty bins.

I was a bit nervous during the initial part of the Quant section and so goofed up on a couple of questions early in the test. However, I got a lot more relaxed after about 15 minutes and did not have a problem after that. The verbal section went pretty well. I got 4 RCs which were on interesting topics so I was able to enjoy reading them.

Preparation:

Quant:

Kaplan GMAT, OG, TestMagic

Verbal:

Kaplan GMAT, Manhattan SC, OG and OG Verbal

I spent the first few days doing all the questions in the Kaplan GMAT book. I was a bit rusty on Quant but it did not take too long to get back into it. Verbal was a bigger problem.

After Kaplan GMAT I did the OG Verbal book. I was still having a lot of problems with SC. I then went through the Manhattan SC book 2 times and then did all the questions from the OG.

Along the way I had take GmatPrep 1 and Kaplan CAT 1, 2 and 3. At this stage I realized that SC was going to be the biggest challenge for me.

I then did the SC questions in the verbal OG and the OG again. However, this time I did one question at a time and then read the explanation given in the OG even if I answered the question correctly. I think this helped me the most in understanding the rules. I even read the explanations for the incorrect choices to make sure I understood why they were wrong. I cannot stress enough as to how much this helped me.

I knew that if the SC questions in the real test were tough I might have a problem and so decided to concentrate on getting as many of the RC and CR questions right. I found this strategy worked well for me on the real test. Another think that I did which is different from what is suggested by most people was to spend extra time reading the RC passages. Instead of skimming through the passage and then coming back to them when I saw the questions, I would read the passage slowly. This helped me a lot. I guess this is something that you need to experiment with and see what works for you.