Sponsored Ad:

Thread: 720 (q 42, v 47)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

720 (q 42, v 47)

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi! I took the GMAT on Feb. 2.

To be honest, I was in study mode in December, but after Christmas, I didn't want to do anything anymore... finally, I had to finish up my applications, so I took the test.

Actually, I didn't have much opportunity to use this forum, but I believe that it's an amazingly helpful forum. There are so many places out there to suck money out of you, this is one place where people are genuinely concerned without a profit motive and a great resource for anyone taking the GMAT. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I took the practice test, and based on it, I figured that my verbal was 'good enough', and focused solely on quantitative. It was not hard math, but I don't like probability, work, or interest rate problems.

I was lucky, I only had one or two probability questions, no interest problems, and a few work problems that I could figure out. My basis for studying was the OG 11 only. I had bought the supplements, but what with me taking a break, I never even finished all the stuff in OG.

Still, I did do the diagnostic test, and most of the 300 quant review practices. When I got something wrong, I tried to figure it out. Maybe that saved me a little.

Percentile, though, a q 42 is kinda low, only 67%. When I actually took the test, it was my first time. There was no one else in the test center, but I kept feeling really pressed for time on the quant section, the noteboards they give you didn't feel like the pencil I had used to practice, and there wasn't really enough space on the table for me to tilt the keyboard and work on the notepad. I was really worried about not finishing, because in the beginning it said something about a penalty for not finishing. I think I could have done better and made fewer mistakes if I had calmed down and paced myself.

For the verbal, though, I kept my eye on the time to make sure I wasn't spending too much time, but I ended up with a lot of time to spare.

As for my background, I was a business major, and now I teach English in Japan. That helped me with the sentence corrections. It's been a while, but I'm not un-used to dense material. Also, I took the LSAT last month, the verbal material on that is a lot more difficult and the time constraints tougher.

What I really wish I had prepared more for was the AWA section. I only got a 4.5, and I deserved it. I couldn't concentrate and develop my ideas enough, I was feeling pressed for time.... what happens if you write two really good paragraphs, but then you've spent so much time on that, you never wrote a conclusion?!...I thought of stuff like that.

I had thought I would do so badly, that I was going to study over the weekend and take the test again, so I'm pretty happy with my score. It was a lot more than I thought I could get, and restored a little of my confidence.

I wish I could have practiced more with the GMAT prep software, but it would never load the questions when I installed it on my main computer, and was really slow on my old laptop, it was just a better use of my time to do the problems in the book.

Anisa.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    Congrats. 47 on Verbal!!! that's animal. good stuff

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    That's a brilliant score, well done and thanks for sharing your experience.

I hope you don't mind but I have added your account to our compilation of tips from successful GMAT takers.

Best of luck with your apps!
    PrepForTests.com
    Free GMAT tutorials, tips and practice questions

Good post? Yes | No
    Congratulations dude...
    Are you sure that the scores are not interchanged... Since 47 in verbal is really cool... Kiddin... :P

Regards,
    Surya

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

awesome score

47 in VA !!
    Kudos to u
    " You have to know you can win. You have to think you can win. You have to feel you can win."

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by prepfortests View Post
    That's a brilliant score, well done and thanks for sharing your experience.

I hope you don't mind but I have added your account to our compilation of tips from successful GMAT takers.

Best of luck with your apps!
    Not at all! I'm glad to help.

Anisa.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by surya167 View Post
    Congratulations dude...
    Are you sure that the scores are not interchanged... Since 47 in verbal is really cool... Kiddin... :P

Regards,
    Surya
    ^.^ I'm an English teacher and I've been reading my father's grant papers since I was 12, so no, pretty sure not. I'm guessing most people here are not native speakers of English. I do think the test takes that into account, because the LSAT was a LOT more intensive in the reading comprehension section.

I do wish I had done better on quant, I think I could have if I had calmed down, and hadn't rushed, but at the same time, I barely had enough time to finish the last question, I might not have finished if I hadn't rushed, which is a worse mistake, maybe. I'm guessing no one else has problems with the GMAT prep software?

Thank you everyone for your congratulations! It means a lot to me!

Anisa.

Thread Information