Urch Forums

720 (q 42, v 47)

mystavash

Hi! I took the GMAT on Feb. 2.

To be honest, I was in study mode in December, but after Christmas, I didn't want to do anything anymore... finally, I had to finish up my applications, so I took the test.

Actually, I didn't have much opportunity to use this forum, but I believe that it's an amazingly helpful forum. There are so many places out there to suck money out of you, this is one place where people are genuinely concerned without a profit motive and a great resource for anyone taking the GMAT. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I took the practice test, and based on it, I figured that my verbal was 'good enough', and focused solely on quantitative. It was not hard math, but I don't like probability, work, or interest rate problems.

I was lucky, I only had one or two probability questions, no interest problems, and a few work problems that I could figure out. My basis for studying was the OG 11 only. I had bought the supplements, but what with me taking a break, I never even finished all the stuff in OG.

Still, I did do the diagnostic test, and most of the 300 quant review practices. When I got something wrong, I tried to figure it out. Maybe that saved me a little.

Percentile, though, a q 42 is kinda low, only 67%. When I actually took the test, it was my first time. There was no one else in the test center, but I kept feeling really pressed for time on the quant section, the noteboards they give you didn't feel like the pencil I had used to practice, and there wasn't really enough space on the table for me to tilt the keyboard and work on the notepad. I was really worried about not finishing, because in the beginning it said something about a penalty for not finishing. I think I could have done better and made fewer mistakes if I had calmed down and paced myself.

For the verbal, though, I kept my eye on the time to make sure I wasn't spending too much time, but I ended up with a lot of time to spare.

As for my background, I was a business major, and now I teach English in Japan. That helped me with the sentence corrections. It's been a while, but I'm not un-used to dense material. Also, I took the LSAT last month, the verbal material on that is a lot more difficult and the time constraints tougher.

What I really wish I had prepared more for was the AWA section. I only got a 4.5, and I deserved it. I couldn't concentrate and develop my ideas enough, I was feeling pressed for time.... what happens if you write two really good paragraphs, but then you've spent so much time on that, you never wrote a conclusion?!...I thought of stuff like that.

I had thought I would do so badly, that I was going to study over the weekend and take the test again, so I'm pretty happy with my score. It was a lot more than I thought I could get, and restored a little of my confidence.

I wish I could have practiced more with the GMAT prep software, but it would never load the questions when I installed it on my main computer, and was really slow on my old laptop, it was just a better use of my time to do the problems in the book.

Anisa.

Congratulations dude...

Are you sure that the scores are not interchanged... Since 47 in verbal is really cool... :) Kiddin... :P

Regards,

Surya

^.^ I'm an English teacher and I've been reading my father's grant papers since I was 12, so no, pretty sure not. I'm guessing most people here are not native speakers of English. I do think the test takes that into account, because the LSAT was a LOT more intensive in the reading comprehension section.

I do wish I had done better on quant, I think I could have if I had calmed down, and hadn't rushed, but at the same time, I barely had enough time to finish the last question, I might not have finished if I hadn't rushed, which is a worse mistake, maybe. I'm guessing no one else has problems with the GMAT prep software?

Thank you everyone for your congratulations! It means a lot to me! :)

Anisa.