Urch Forums

620 (q49, v27) ... something went wrong

samirnajeeb

took the test today ... and got 620!!! :(

maths was going pretty good ... when i realized thati was behind the clock and messed up the rest of the section

same thing happened in verbal .... in the end i had to answer 23 quest in 29mins ... i was all tensed and totally blew it

i was shocked to see 620 because i was consistently getting 700+ in practice tests ...

GPrep1 - 700(q47, v39)

Gprep2 - 750(q50, v41) ..... i knew a couple of verbal questions already

reinstalled GPrep

GPrep3 - 730(q50, v38)

Gprep4 - 760(q49, v45) .... knew a lot of verbal questions

usually i got the following hit-rates:

SC - 78%

CR - 80% or above

RC - 70% or above

PS - above 90%

DS - 80%

there's no doubt that i'll have to retake the test .... verbal questions were more difficult that the ones on GPrep .... while maths was easy earlier but in the end i did not have enough time and the questions were tough.

it really was a bad day!!!!!

I also got 640 and have been reading some debriefing of people who did well. I have given two test GMAT prep ( 710 v37 q50 ) and the other practice test at Manhattan GMAT prep center (720 v42 q47 ). The manhattan math is bit too tough unnecessarily so it is ok. Anyway the main concern is verbal and what to do with it.

Here are some things I noticed:

a. I got 9 questions wrong in the end of a verbal GMAT prep test, because i ran out of time. and i had only 3 questions wrong before 30. my scaled score 37. Lesson to learn accuracy is the prime concern for the first 15-20 questions.

when you have 23 questions and 29 mins try this:

do 10q in 15 mins. 8 questions in 13 mins. and put the answer of the day on remaining 5. if you have nailed your first 18 questions properly, then doing the 10 q in 15 mins you might have 2-3 wrong, same with 8 questions with ur nice hit rate you might get 1 or 2wrong. last 5, lets say are all wrong. So you end up with atmost 10 wrong ( 1 or 2 more from first 18). That is not bad at all.

So try to gain accuracy on each question and get methods of how to ensure the right answer.(i know easier said than done :)

now that doesn't say not to improve speed. I for one have found myself stumped on some questions. I mean my mind is just numb and it takes couple of seconds to get it on some path to solve that problem. basically, there are just 5 choices. so start working on them if you didn't find error in the original SC. 2-3 split, notice verb-tense, POE etc.

paraphrase the CR and see if that works.. In short practice the methods and be an expert in methods, so that any question you can start working on it the moment question pops on screen.

(this was more of a self-talk, i just jotted it down while talkin in my mind :)

lemme know what ur strats and thoughts are ...

ackerman thanks for the insight .... you are right about the accuracy thing .... however, i used to think that the first 5 -8 questions are more like a do-or-die situation ..... u do well, you're gonna get a high score .... otherwise you're dead meat ....

its not that easy to predict the scoring so easily .... i took a GMATPrep and got 4 incorrect out of the first 8 .... i was probably too tired and didnt feel like taking the test .... even then i ended up with 33 or 34 .....

that shows one can catch up

the first questions are definitely important ..... but if you are stuck POE is a better option than to waste a lot of time

i like your strategy if we're behind the clock .... but it is important to keep oneself in senses .... i lost my sense, got tensed and messed it up

i agree that im not an expert at any of the verbal parts .... be it sc, rc or cr ..... i think we should focus more on thinking like the gurus think ..... that way, and with practice ofcourse, we'll not only save time .... we'll maximize our accuracy

so my plan is simple:

- start thinking like those who score in the 99% range

- knowing why incorrect options are incorrect is a better strategy than choosing an option you think is right

- TIMING!

- be a guru of DS ... im quite comfortable with PS ... it is better to first perfect the skill you already know .... getting a q51 is tough but doable ... it will cover up the lag in verbal

- for CR i'll try to open up my mind with lsat questions .... if you start getting those right ... then gmat cr will be easier than ever

- for RC ..... Gin's guide is pretty comprehensive .... understanding a passage is really important ... while keeping up with the pace

welll here you go .... my not-so-brief thoughts!!!!

Hello guys ,

gave my GMAT yesterday . Got 610 ( 47Q / 27V ) . It was indeed very dissapointing . Expected close to 670-680 . PS was a good going but I think made some wrong choices at the start . But I really blew up the english section . I had the same situation as prawler - doing 18-20 questions in the last 20-25 mins.

From what I have analysed is that the correct answer has to click you almost immedietly . There is not much time to think out there.

Can you suggest me some good book in Verbal ability ( SC ) and for CR . I feel I am not very good in sentence correction . Pls help .

thnx

Hello guys ,

took my GMAT yesterday . Got 610 ( 47Q / 27V ) . It was indeed very dissapointing . Expected close to 670-680 . PS was a good going but I think made some wrong choices at the start . But I really blew up the english section . I had the same situation as prawler - doing 18-20 questions in the last 20-25 mins.

From what I have analysed is that the correct answer has to click you almost immedietly . There is not much time to think out there.

Can you suggest me some good book in Verbal ability ( SC ) and for CR . I feel I am not very good in sentence correction . Pls help .

thnx

Hello guys ,

took my GMAT yesterday . Got 610 ( 47Q / 27V ) . It was indeed very dissapointing . Expected close to 670-680 . PS was a good going but I think made some wrong choices at the start . But I really blew up the english section . I had the same situation as prawler - doing 18-20 questions in the last 20-25 mins.

thnx

tarun .... im not really in the right position to guide you :)

but i think the following SC guides are helpful:

- Manhattan SC (comprehensive and covers almost all topics)

- Spideyz notes

- sahil's notes

ahmed's notes are good too but you should consult them if you need to revise all the grammar lessons ... it includes basics as well

participate in SC forums

for Cr:

- CR strategies PPT by James berg .... popularly known as piyusht's CR PPT ... don't know who the real author is

- frequently participate in CR forums

well im not sure as i was in a state where i wasnt thinking/focusing too much

i know that the first 5 went alright .... but i spent too much time .... 16mins for the first 4 questions

there was an RC just after 5 questions i guess

RC was easy but SC and CR were pretty tough ... i've seen some LSAT CR questions as well .... so trust me, CR was tougher than i expected ... thats the reason why i spent too much time! the trick is to point out the correct choice ASAP... when you're targetting 700+ you dont have enough time to recheck or to think a lot

SC was tough too .... there were 2-3 quest where all the choices looked incorrect :) may be that was the time killing me