Urch Forums

790 GMAT - Q51 V51.... but I got a 790?

CaliforniaKid

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I'm spamming, since I posted this in the main section as well:

I got a 51 in both sections, and I was under the impression that 51 is about the highest you can get. I've searched all over the internet, and people are getting 51/48s and still getting 790s, and the few people I found who got 51/51 got an 800.

I actually struggled really early with the math (I think I had a couple of tough sample questions) but then smoothed out and ended it on a roll, and I absolutely killed the verbal - I'd be willing to bet that I missed at most 1 verbal question. Math I definitely missed at least 1-3, although they might have been sample questions.

So anyway, what's the deal here? Why didn't I get an 800? I checked Columbia and Stanford's 2009 class profiles and both of them have a maximum score of 790... I checked Berkeley and Harvard and a bunch of others as well, but they only give middle 80% ranges so I can't tell whether or not they have any 800s.

Can anyone provide some insight? I know I might come off as frivolous worrying about the difference between a 790 and an 800, but I got a 760 the first time I took the test and retook it SPECIFICALLY because I wanted to get an 800, and now I feel like I failed.

Thanks for your help!

Who is Bob800, and how can I contact him?

May be I can help on that matter.

I read somewhere that you score is determine not only on how many questions u get wrong, but also on how and where u get them wrong.

I explain myself we all know that a mistake made at the beginning will cost u more than at the end; it's the same if u make ur mistakes in a row, and the same if u make all your mistakes in the same category.

For example u could have a 51 in verbal but if u have made ur 2 mistakes in SC, none in Rc and none in cr u still have 51 but ur score is not balanced, thus no 800 at the end.

Hope it helps, I read somewhere as well that some school are afraid by the 800, they find them weird, so u should be fine.

What I find a bit strange, and I think BScholl will find too is why did u retake??

Nice score anyway [clap] good luck for ur apps

BM

first of all, amazing score dude!!!

and now the same question, when you already had a 99% why did you retake the test?? that shows that you're focusing on wrong areas ...

you should really work on your essays .... raising your score from 760 to 790 probably does not matter to bschools .... so be prepared for this question "why did you retake?"

and take it from me "i wanted to get an 800" is not the kind of answer you should have in mind or atleast not the kind of answer bschools want to listen from a guy who scored 99%

i may sound a little sarcastic but all i'm saying is that you should be ready for these things after getting such an amazing score ... work on ur essay, sky is the limit!!! all the best

btw can you please share your debrief and brief profile

My answer is, "The same reason anyone retakes the test - because I didn't do my best the first time, and had reasons to think that I could do better. I was uncomfortable in the environment, felt like I panicked early in the test when I saw a hard question on the math, and wasn't able to focus properly. I just didn't feel like I did my best, and I am a competitive person who always wants to do my best no matter what I'm doing."

Which is 100% true...