Sponsored Ad:

Thread: My GMAT score - 510 :(

Good post? Yes | No

Unhappy My GMAT score - 510 :(

Sponsored Ad:
    I just took the GMAT this morning. It was my first one, and I scored a 510. I'm just mentally exhausted from all the studying I've done. I prepared by taking a course through Kaplan. I didn't feel ready to take the test after it was done, so I repeated the course and opted to do the workshops instead of attending the classes again. the first time I took the course I spent so much time trying to keep up with their homework schedules, quizzes, etc. that I just didn't have time to do much else. I was pretty upset because my instructor recommended that I actually NOT purchase the official guide (11th edition). I also made my own flashcards during this time.

When I repeated the course, I decided to buy TOG anyway. For the next three months I used Kaplan online workshops, the Kaplan books from my course and TOG. I studied 3-4 hours everyday. I did practice tests through Kaplan and actually repeated a few tests to see how I was doing. Overall, my very first diagnostic score 6 months ago was a 420 or 430. So today's score was a big improvement from that. From then on, my practice test scores ranged from in the 400-500's with my highest score being a 530.

I walked out of the test today and just cried my eyes out. I feel like I studied so hard, and used all available resources and still did not do well. My math score was 29%!

One issue I had ws the timing. In my practice tests I was always timed. I started timing myself when doing problems from TOG.

american university's deadline for next fall is in March. I dont knwo if I should re-take in February, or push up everything and shoot for admission in Spring of 2009 (leaving me with many more months to study). The schools I'm applying to genearlly want a GMAT score of 560 and above.

Thanks,

PersianPhoenix

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    persian.
    which schools you hoping to apply to? which r your dream schools?
    retaking gmat? shortlisted any schools?

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi direstraits,

I'm shooting for University of Maryland, American University, and Johns Hopkins. Am considering GW as well but that's a reach school for sure!

I was hoping to apply by March because most school deadlines for Fall of 2008 are in March. I was just blown away because i wanted to at least get a 540 which, according to Kaplan, is the median score. It seems like most people here used the GMAT Prep software along with the Official Guide. The messed up part is I did everysingle math question in the official guide and went backa nd reviewed answers for what I got right and wrong. Hmm...I guess the timing tripped me up the most. i figured I'd share my experience..

Take care and thanks for replying,

PersianPhoenix

Good post? Yes | No
    PP: Your determination impresses me. It is easy to push oneself when the efforts are producing results, but it takes character to push oneself when the results are otherwise. Keep it up.

By not being afraid to open up in a forum that is filled with intimidating scores, you have shown what you are capable of in your essays. Focus your efforts there.

As far as GMAT goes, just stick with Official Guide. In my opinion, if one prepares thoroughly with Official Guide, one will score above 600. All those notes and problems out there are needed only if you want to target a really high score. Moreover, a few of those notes out there are misleading and sometimes outright erroneous. So just stick with Official Guide. Put together a strategy that works for you, not that worked for someone else, and focus on following that strategy religiously. For this you need to know what your strengths and weaknesses are, and I am fairly certain that you are aware of them by now.

Good luck. I am positive that, true to your handle, you'll rise from your ashes.

- iisan
    Last edited by iisan; 12-21-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    Some people are more talented than others. Some are more educationally privileged than others. But we all have the capacity to be great. Greatness comes with recognizing that your potential is limited only by how you choose, how you use your freedom, how resolute you are, how persistent you are -- in short, by your attitude. And we are all free to choose our attitude. -- Peter Koestenbaum

Good post? Yes | No

Smile

I was crying from sadness after seeing my score, and now you have my teary-eyed with hope Thanks! I'm resolving to get back into study mode as of today and time myself on every single question I attempt. I'm still unsure if I'm going to re-take this test in the beginning of February. We'll see!

Good post? Yes | No

Thumbs up

I have to agree with what iisan said regarding study materials and doing what works for you.

One thing that really helped me improve my math and verbal fundametals (the Official Guide tries to teach you a little in the opening pages) was the Manhattan GMAT books. They were amazing for my quant skills. If you can find a used set, I know that both your Q and V scores will certainly improve.

Also, just try to incorporate some reading into your daily life (if you aren't doing that already). Just look at it as conditioning for when you re-take. This way, you'll be used to reading complex articles by then, and you'll improve comprehension too.

The situation that you're currently is the hardest part of the journey, but I can already see that you're a fighter. You'll come out on top the next time. Keep your head down and keep grinding.

TBAY

Good post? Yes | No
    phoenix,
    best of luck with your 2nd attempt. you can easily look at improving by 50-100 points. so many have done that so ya do the OD well and let us know when u crack the exam! its just how u manage those 4 hours. among the univs u shortlistest, wasnt aware about the john hopkins mba. I know its an outstanding univ but somehow the mba isnt talked about much. and maryland is a great but the gmat average is 650+ from what I know. what specialization are u planning on like finance or mkt? for mkting am really impressed with indiana kelly. had a frined who went there and is doing really amazingly. its also top 20 US news and the gmat average is 650. but depending on thy specilization u can decide or r u keen on being in the washington area?

Good post? Yes | No

Smile

Hi direstraits,

Yeah, University of MD is my longshot. I loved going there for undergrad and I've done an information session with them and was very impressed as well. The Hopkins program seems ok..I think it'll be easier to get in there. I'm really trying to stay in the DC area so my choices are fairly limited to these schools.

I just don't kow if I should be trying to take this test again in February (deadlines for fall 08 are in March) or if I should push up my whole schedule for school and give myself more time to study and apply for Spring 2009. I hate to push it up but I think maybe having more time might help me get a much better score. I don't know if studying for just 4 or 5 weeks will get me much of a jump in my score. So much to think about!

Thanks for writing,

PersianPhoenix

Just beat it!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi ladies and gentlemen

I am a new guest for this forum. Would u please welcome me? Okay, I am going to take GMAT in the coming April 2008. Here is my problem, I am good at quantitative part of GMAT but I have problem on Critical reasoning part.

What am I supposed to do.

I looking forward to.

Good post? Yes | No
    I gave my first shot too on December 26th. Got the same score as you did, Ogo. My score was 510 (30,31 not sure of the order). I was postponing my studies for long time, rescheduled twice. I could not study at all, just went in and took the test. I am planning to retake it in June. Got plenty of materials to study.

Thread Information