Urch Forums

430 (29q,20V)!

Finally, i had my day with the test and what i got is really a reflection of my prep. because i belive my prep was not organised and this landed me here.

specifically due to the quantum of materials i was trying to go over before the test.

Lesson 1:

There is alot of materials on the net about the exam but i think for starters its best to make your pick and focus on getting the best out of the ones you choose.

Lesson 2:

As stated in one above there is a lot of books on gmat but in my opinion after a deep thought all you need is ;

OG 10&11 and OG review

Manhattan SC

Fainally, Do alot of practise with the GMAT prep as its exactly what you see on the exam.

For me i have picked another date in 40days time to re-appear for the test but this time am not leaving any thing to chance.

To the house all i ask is what do i need for CR and RC.

thank you amd watch out for my rebound!

700++,

You have nowhere to go but up at this point. That's kind of the beauty of scoring low ;) Don't forget to time yourself with a stopwatch in your preparations for the next 40 days. And keep envisioning the score you want appearing in the screen. The GMAT requires some knowledge but it also requires a lot of positivity as well. You CAN do this. Don't give up.

I'll end with my favorite quote: A setback is a setup for a comeback by Willie Jolley

700++ , dear don't loose heart, make this second attempt as the thing in your life at the moment, if you really want it you'll get it.There is a saying in the book Zahir written by paulo Cohelo in which he says that " If you want something really badly, the whole of universe will conspire and help you achieve that goal. But the question is how badllly you want it?

And mate if you want any help in terms of materials do let me know i will send it across to you. I am givivng the exam in April, am really weak in maths but iam trying really hard. i just want it.

god bless. all the best and catch the bull by its horns.

Thanks to all the people out there who have contributed on my next dday.

However, i got my official score report today nothing changed really just the fact that i got 4.5 in AWA which surprised me simply because i did not really do much about this.

Any suggetions for quant?

You should try to bump your AWA up to 5.0. Read over some of the GMAT templates the OG provides. It's very easy to improve in this area. Also, if you have a outline in mind you won't have to consume as much mental energy and can save it for the test.

The main thing I would work on is the timing. You can download a GMAT timer at GMATclub (the site is down right now, but will be back up soon). I can't tell you how invaluable a tool it is!

What are your biggest weaknesses? If it's quant, I prefer Kaplan, but Manhattan’s questions probably mimic the GMAT more closely. However, I don't get too caught up in any test prep's mock exams/questions. So I chose my materials based on who covers the concepts the best for my personal learning style. I prefer test prep to learn the basics and focus the bulk of my question sets from the official materials. Between the OG and the Official quant and verbal reviews you have plenty of material to practice with.

You don't need to go out and buy the materials either. Go to your local library and check them out. Sit down and see which books you like the best. Prep material is usually a matter of personal preference.

Once you have the basics down, you need to focus on your timing. This is 50% of the battle. Being able to do the problem is one thing, being able to do it in 2 mins. with the pressure of the exam is another. The best way to tackle this is to mimic the test conditions during your practice. Work on the OG in sets of 37 questions. This will build your mental stamina.

Use the GMAT timer to analyze your weaknesses. If you're finding your timing is off, you either don't know the basics well enough or aren't using the most efficient method for attacking the problems.

Also, we all have our weaknesses. Know yours. Testing under timed conditions will help you pin point them. For example, I struggle with permutations. When I see a permutation problem, if I can't set it up in 30 seconds, I take an educated guess and move on. It is better to guess and move on than waste 2 minutes staring at a problem I can't solve. I'd rather save that time for areas I am strong in, like number theory.

Hope that helps.