Urch Forums

690 (Q48, V35, AWA 4.0) to 750 (Q49, V42, AWA 5.5)

charry_008

Disclaimer: The views are solely mine and please follow the advice in this debrief at your own risk. As this debrief has been written in a hurry, there may be some mistakes in sentence construction as per the GMAT standards.

Warning: Pretty long post ahead!

I retook GMAT last week and was pleasantly surprised to see a 750. First of all, I would like to thank Testmagic and all its active members for their brilliant support; Erin, for creating such a great forum; 800bob, for the brilliant SC explanations; this man rocks. I would like to give my special thanks to all the people who wrote brilliant debriefs, reading which gave a lot of boost to my confidence level and increased my determination to get a better score.

My first stint with GMAT was a year before in September’07 , I got a 690 that time and was understandably disappointed to narrowly miss 700 mark. I was not sure whether I should go for a retake or not. But after contemplating it for couple of weeks, I decided to give it again and postpone my MBA plans by a year to strengthen my profile. When I started my preparation couple of months back this year, I was very clear about what I need to concentrate on and I was determined not to repeat any mistakes both while preparing and while giving the exam on d-day. Verbal had let me down in my last attempt, so I concentrated mostly on verbal this time. There were few things that I did differently this time around that have helped me to score higher. And now that I have got 750, I can’t help thinking that its good that I got a 690 last year, if I had touched 700 in my last attempt, I might not have retaken the exam.

Without wasting a lot of time, I will just list out the points elaborating the difference between what I prepared last year and what I prepared in last couple of months. The changes that I did in my preparation strategy worked for me, and I hope it will be of help both to those who are planning to retake GMAT and to those who are giving it for the first time.

Last year (when I got a 690):

Preparation time: around 2-3 months

Verbal:

Books/Notes used extensively: OG 11th edition, OG purple verbal handbook, 1000 SC, Manhattan SC

Books/Notes used occasionally: Kaplan 800, psahil notes.

Books/Notes NEVER used: Princeton review, 1000 CR, powerscore CR bible, RC from OG 11th edition.

Quants:

Books/Notes used: OG 11th edition, OG green verbal handbook, SETS, some personal notes on maths.

Full length tests given:

GMATprep1 (with very less preparation): 690 GMATprep2 (after 1-2 months preparation): 730

GMAT powerprep (old ones): around 730 – 740 (don’t remember exactly).

Its amazing that on the real test I scored exactly 690, the score that I had got when I gave GMATprep for the first time without much preparation; this suggested just one thing: I didn’t prepare smartly enough to give myself a real chance of scoring well in the exams. After the exam I did self-analysis for couple of months to know the loopholes in my preparation strategy. I could afford to spend that much time on self-analysis as I had already decided that I would target Fall 2009 instead of Fall 2008.

This year (when I got 750):

I wanted to start my preparation early (somewhere around January), but for some reason or the other it kept on getting delayed, and I ended up seriously starting my preparation only in June. I would have liked to get done with the GMAT by August first week but again I could not get the dates, well in advance, for August first week, and for 2 weeks in August I couldn’t study a word because of some urgent work, consequently had to postpone the exam to September first week. Anyway, now that I have scored 750, I feel all that procrastination has worked in my favor.

Coming back to the preparation strategy for my second attempt: In addition to preparing from the books that I used extensively during my last attempt, I made following differences in my preparation:

Differences in SC preparation:

1. Using testmagic extensively for SC: This was the one of the main differences that helped my verbal score. I used to search 800bob posts/explanations as much as I can, and used to bookmark the weblink to each thread. As I was not always using the same PC when I was studying, I used the “Foxmarks” addon for Mozilla Firefox to synchronize all my bookmarks to a central database, and that enabled me to access my bookmarks anywhere. One week before the exam I went through all the saved weblinks once again.

2. Reading explanations for each of the OG SC questions, not just the ones that I got wrong. I basically tried to understand the kind of sentences OG preferred and kind of sentences OG doesn’t prefer. I used to read even the CR questions with a conscious mind towards understanding the kind of sentences OG prefer in CR stimuli to help me with the SC preparation. It is usually beneficial to have the learning written on a notepad while you are going through the OG explanation so that you can revise your personal tips few days before the exam.

3. Not using Kaplan 800 or Princeton review at all. Few people may find these two books beneficial, I didn’t.

4. Didn’t study a lot from Manhattan SC this time, just a cursory look at main topics. By the way, manhattan SC is a decent book for starters and it can help to build basics. But, if a high score is desired, something more would be required.

Differences in CR preparation:

One big mistake that I did during the preparation before my last attempt was not to give the importance that CR questions deserve. I used to have almost 90% accuracy while solving CR questions from OG and understandably was over confident as far as CRs were concerned. However, after getting 35 in verbal in my last attempt I realized the importance of CR questions as there were few CR questions in the exam that I couldn’t answer properly. The reason, which I learned a little too late, was that I didn’t prepare anything, I repeat anything, for CR. I had learned from that mistake for good. The lesson was simple: Do not take CR lightly! I didn’t in my second attempt. I got to know the importance of Powerscore CR bible after reading few debriefs and immediately got myself one. I read it cover to cover and solved almost all its exercise, twice. For practice, I also solved few sets from LSTAT 1000 CR.

I didn’t solve a single CR question from OG 11th edition this time, although I did solve all the hard questions from OG 10th edition. (There is an excel sheet available that segregates all the OG 10th edition questions in three buckets of “hard”, “medium” and “easy”).

Like for SCs, I didn’t even touch Kaplan 800 or Princeton review.

Differences in RC preparation:

Not a lot of differences here. I remember reading few initial pages of TBAY verbal notes, which explained how to approach different types of RC questions; that document was helpful. In addition, I made it a rule to understand the RC passage completely before looking at any questions, not taking more than 3 mins in the process, although I mostly did so even during my previous attempt, just that I made it a habit this time around, and I must say it helped.

Also, I feel going through the powerscore CR bible may have helped me in RCs as well, because a lot of concepts that apply to CR questions can also be applied to RCs.

For practice, I solved few passages from OG 11th edtion, that’s it.

Differences in Quants preparation:

Not a lot of differences here too. I was a little more conscious towards the kind of mistakes I was doing this time, making sure not to repeat those mistakes. I used to have problems while solving inequalities; although I used to end up solving it correctly, I was taking a lot more time than I would have liked to. So, I worked a little bit on inequalities. There is a word doc on Absolute values and inequalities that explains the concept on inequality quite well; that document helped.

Full length tests given:

GMATprep1: 750

GMATprep2: 760

GMAT powerprep1: 770

GMAT powerprep2: 780

I didn’t take any other tests. No Kaplan, no mgmat, no 800score, no Princeton.

So, that’s my GMAT story. Oh, about the mostly neglected part: AWA, I didn’t prepare a lot, like most people (at max couple of days). One change I did while writing AWA essays during exam was that I made sure that every sentence I write in the essay is correct according to all the GMAT SC rules and that I write some really long sentences instead of shorter ones.

One last piece of advice I would like to give to all those who are planning to take GMAT in coming days, please go through the whole GMAT exam calmly. Do not panic, do not look towards the time too often, just try to maintain a decent pace, giving equal importance to every question, and you will surely get the score you desire.

When I was taking the exam, I got couple of questions in maths in the middle that I couldn’t solve even after spending more than 3 mins on them, so I just marked an answer and moved on without wasting a lot of time. If I had wasted more time on those questions, I would have surely fallen short of time while solving the questions at the end. Verbal didn’t seem very difficult, especially SCs and RCs. Few CRs at the end got very tricky, with EXCEPT questions and all, and I may have got few wrongs at the end, resulting in a lower score. I was expecting around 44-45 in verbal after finishing my verbal section. Anyway, I am still very satisfied with my performance.

I suppose the debrief has already become really long, so wrapping it up here. I will be around for some time on this forum and would love to answer queries, if any, as much as time permits. As R1 deadline for a lot of universities is fast approaching, I am afraid I wouldn’t be having a lot of spare time pretty soon.

All the best, everyone!

Thanks a lot effective_factor, buji, wannabe, sunny and TaTum...

Effective_factor,

For SC, Manhattan SC is good for start, then you can start solving all the OG questions. As I have said in my debrief, pay immense attention to the explanation of each of the SCs given in OG11th edition. Also, go through the explanations of all the questions in OG10th edtion that are not there in OG11th edition.

Compared with OG, SCs in real test were of similar difficulty to some extent. Actually, in OG 50% of the SCs are of medium to low difficulty level. On the other hand, in the real test, you may encounter only the SCs that are of medium to high difficulty level, the difficulty level that constitute, I suppose, the other 50% of OG questions. In real test I didn't see any SC that was very straightforward and easy, but in OG there are SCs that are very easy.

Congratulations for your magic score.Its a great great thing to have a score of 750 :)

Can you please let me know...How much time dod you take to complete the Powerscore CR Bible?

I don't remember the exact number of days, but I guess I would have taken about 2-3 weeks to finish it for the first time, spending about 1-2 hours everyday. The second read was pretty fast, as I was skipping most of the parts that I was sure about.

• 4 weeks later...
hi charry,

which Powerscore CR bible did u take the GMAT one or LSAT one..lSAT one is too big to go through while the gmat one has less pages comparatively

I studied LSAT bible but selectively, not all. If you have GMAT CR bible, it is better to study from that directly. As I did not have the GMAT CR bible, I got the table of contents for GMAT bible from powerscore website, and studied only those topics from LSAT bible. There are a lot of irrelevant topics in LSAT book, topics that can be skipped. For example, conditional reasoning is not tested in GMAT, but it is in LSAT. Hope this info helps!

All the best!

hi charry,

which Powerscore CR bible did u take the GMAT one or LSAT one..lSAT one is too big to go through while the gmat one has less pages comparatively

Hi Micky,

U can find Powerscore GMAT CR Bible from this link.........Its arnd 57-58MB in size...but is really really great....

GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible - eSnips, share anything

Happy studying....:)

Congrats Charry for the great score!

and thanks for this very helpful debrief.

For CR you said you practiced with the LSAT 1000 CR. Is that the LSAT official tests or the 1000 CR.

Also, could you please upload to esnips or any other site the TBAY verbal notes, which explains how to approach different types of RC questions.

Thanks a lot.

Congrats Charry for the great score!

and thanks for this very helpful debrief.

For CR you said you practiced with the LSAT 1000 CR. Is that the LSAT official tests or the 1000 CR.

Also, could you please upload to esnips or any other site the TBAY verbal notes, which explains how to approach different types of RC questions.

Thanks a lot.

I think the 1000 CR doc that is floating around contains actually the LSAT CRs. And I was referring to that doc only. I am uploading the requested docs will provide the link shortly.

hi sunny,

i dont think this esnips link for GMAT CR Bible is working...the doc is not present in esnips....

Hi Micky,

Its working ....I just checked now again...

Dont get distracted by the PDF not opening there...

Just go in the left corner below and click on download....

Let me know if you still face problems