Urch Forums

1080 score, need help on retake and time strat!

kicka19

So I got a 560Q and 520V, needless to say I was disapointed. In all of my prep, I used powerpre, kaplans(worthless), princeton(very easy) and Barrons. Powerprep was by far the closest to the real deal. I scored around 650V and 650-700Q. When I took the test my time managment skills went completely out the window with 30 minutes remaining I had only completed 4 problems in the math section. Needless to say I ended up having to randomly guess from questions 20-28 and questions 15-19 were very rushed. The content wasnt so much the issue as getting off to a horridly slow start was. I am looking to get into a social/experimental psychology PHd program, my mentor believes I need to get around 1300+ to get in. I believe I could get this score as I have on the practice test, I just choked I think.

I am normal very consitent on the verbal section, I was just so bent out of shape after the math section my mind was wondering and I could not stay focussed.

I am thinking about getting the "big book" and timing myself through its tests to get my timing down better. Any suggestions on how to approach this test for the second time and do you think it is fisable to go up 300 pts total if I fix the timing issue? I would like to retest in a month or so.

Sure, if you are able to handle all the questions easily during practice, there is no reason that you won't be able to get a good GRE score.

You should purchase the Big Book, as it has the best Verbal practice of all. For Math, you can try Nova and the ETS Math Review. Try finishing Math in around 35-40 minutes during practice, because from what I have heard, Math has gotten a tad difficult. So, you will need to compensate for the extra time it will take you on the actual test.

Sure, if you are able to handle all the questions easily during practice, there is no reason that you won't be able to get a good GRE score.

You should purchase the Big Book, as it has the best Verbal practice of all. For Math, you can try Nova and the ETS Math Review. Try finishing Math in around 35-40 minutes during practice, because from what I have heard, Math has gotten a tad difficult. So, you will need to compensate for the extra time it will take you on the actual test.

Is the big book still relevant even though it is from 1995?