Urch Forums

Q: 800 V:600 AWA:? + 1 Question for someone who already took the test + Excellent Obs

michaelGRE

Date: 20st December 2010

Question Before: I tried to go on the ETS website, I entered my registration Number but my results for quant and verbal are not yet there. Is it normal?

Hello Everyone :),

So I am now done with the GRE :).

I am going to describe how I basically work.

About Me: Not English Native/ Studying Engineering

Preparation time: 1 month Full time -> 8.30 am to 6 pm every day

Results in CAT

First Day: Kaplan 1: Q: 700 V: 340

Kaplan 2: Q: 730 V: 480

Kaplan 3: Q: 790 V: 530

Kaplan 4: Q: 780 V: 560

Kaplan 5: Q: 800 V: 590

Kaplan 6: Q: 780 V: 680

PowerPrep ~ I did Like PP1 10 times and PP2 15 times => See Section Power Prep To understand Why :) ... Good Hint..

PP1 ( First Time): Q=730 V: 700

PP1 (Second Time): Q=800 V:630

PP2 ( First Time): Q=800 V: 590

PP2 (Second Time): Q=800 V:630

Quant: 800/800

So I prepared a lot only using Kaplan Prep.

Nonetheless, I really believe that the quant was extremely easy, same level as the power prep and same type of questions. Nonetheless, I think it is because I am studying engineering.

However, I truly believe that everyone can get 800. My questions were about geometry, easy calculus, one prob and that's all.

Thus to succeed in that part, remain calm, read the question and think about the trap. Let's take for instance one in powerprep. (something like that)

A: Average of x/2 and y

B: Average of x and y/2

In that type of questions, we dont have any info about x and y. Thus directly, you should see a trap. Indeed if x=y=0 it is the same, Otherwise it is not. Consequently you always have to remain calm. Quant is really easy, people make mistake because of this tiny trap.

Verbal: 600/800

Verbal was really my hard part. I am not native and the first time I did an exam I was terrified by this part. I was thinking of waiting the new GRE because of antonyms or analogies.

Thus what did I do?

Voc

-I first started with Barron's 800 Words. I was doing 10 lists every day. Five days= All the book.

-Then I downloaded a Kaplan software on my Blackberry ( around 500 words). I also learned them ( in the bus/ Walking/ etc...)

IMPORTANT

-I printed the Big Book with 27 tests and I started not to do all of it but to read it carefully! I wrote on a paper all of the words I didn't know and all of the analogies. Even if I didnt get any of them, I learned a LOT of words thanks to BigBook. It is extremely important to do them!

For analogies: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-analogies-antonyms/99034-list-frequent-analogies.html

Print this and do all of them!

Antonyms: Take the test and make a list

To summarize, VOC= BigBook/ Kaplan Soft/ 800 Words

I dont believe that learning 4000 words is a good idea because you get lost quickly.

Training

CATS/ Big Book. I also bought GRE Bible and it was a HUGE Mistake!

GRE Bible = BIG BOOK

GRE Bible != Real Test from ETS

PowerPrep

I read a lot here " Guys, Do at leat 2 times PowerPrep". I will jsut say NO!.

-"DO AT LEAST THE PP 10 TIMES"

-"But man, I am going to get the same questions!"

-"NO, for instance, do a test and put always wrong answers , you will get new questions.

Do a test and alternate right and false and you will get new. Play with PowerPrep! By getting new questions, you will get more practice..."

Hopefully, I will be able to inspire some people. :) If you have questions, just ask.

Peace

Edited by michaelGRE

Congrats buddy :)

I am actually worried about maths because of those tiny traps. Any suggestions ? I gave Powerprep test, first time got 560 in quant (couldn't complete 10 questions) and 640 in verbal. Gave Powerprep two weeks back and got 740 quant and 740 verbal. And last week got 760 quant (guessed last 4 questions due to bad time management) and 730 verbal. My exam is in Feb.

I am working on NOVA's math bible and some online practice forums like Urch, websites like masteryourgre and grockit etc. I really need suggestion about quant section. You got questions from calculus ? What kind of ?

Well in my case, I basically did all of the Kaplan Math Practice. They were harder. I think, in math, you really have to concentrate because the questions are not hard :idea:.

So what did I get in Calculus? :/ I will change the questions but it was something like that ;)

Questions like

-x=14y y=14z. What is xy?

-You have one box with sides 2, 4 and 6. What is the least volume of a cube that you could create using these types of box?

-Average Questions

- I have a price. Price -20% + 20% =?

-etc...

Like it was really straightforward so be confident :)

Good luck buddy

First: Thank you

Question Before: I tried to go on the ETS website, I entered my registration Number but my results for quant and verbal are not yet there. Is it normal?

Results will be posted to the institutes after 10 days of the exam date. Results will be available online after 15 days (and not on the 15th day, They are so tough regarding dates).

Wasn't GRE Bible helpful at least in time management ?

How did you prepare for AW?

"Wasn't GRE Bible helpful at least in time management ?

How did you prepare for AW?"

Well, about time managment, it is true that GreBible will help. Nonetheless, I also did a lot of CATs from Kaplan.

But Im changing my mind, if you have some money, buy GREBible. It is evident that it will help a lot for time manag.

Even if GreBible Has the same questions as BigBook, it also has a LOT of training for AW.

So for AW, I did 2 essays every 2 days= One of each.

I took them from

GRE General Test: Samples of Scored Issue Essays with Reader's Commentaries

and from GreBible

ALSO And I think it is important to do it at least 2 times: do essays from ScoreItNow

GRE General Test: ScoreItNow! Online Writing Practice

"ScoreItNow!™ Online Writing Practice is a tool that can help individuals sharpen their writing skills and prepare for the Analytical Writing section of the GRE® General Test. Using our patent–pending e-rater® technology, the groundbreaking automated scoring system provides immediate essay scoring in a confidential, risk–free environment."

It will help you to face the real Gre

And to Conclude and it is personal:

TRY TO DO THIS GRE AND NOt THE NEW ONE!

I m sure that it is easier to get a good verbal score (or a decent one) on this one :)

Michael, many thanks and good luck in your applications. I always need an advice from a non native speaker normal person, very intelligent of course but still human. Some colleagues here suggest studying the dictionaries or 4000 word lists to get a good GRE score and it seems that there are a lot of colleagues have the abilities to do so.

I will fellow your plan....except for Big book because of time. I will use GRE official guide instead. Fewer, more updated exams. My previous score is 520 and I need a push.