Urch Forums

GRE, Conflicting information, success prospects

asymptotic1abno

Hi all,

I am an undergraduate studying math and economics aspiring to get a PhD in economics. I have two GRE-related questions.

1) I believe I am somewhat of a unique case. I am good at math, but not particularly good at taking the types of tests where you are forced to answer a slew of easy questions at a fast-pace. In particular, my math GPA is 4.0, and I am currently scoring well (A-range) in all of my math classes this semester (Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Probability, Linear Optimization, Statistical Programming). However, my GRE-Q corresponds to 740 on the old exam.

So my question is this. A lot of programs want to see strong math applicants, with GRE-Q scores in the 770-800 range. Will my GRE-Q score land my application in the trash immediately? Or will my grades save me? Does anyone have a sense of my chances?

2) I am having trouble finding reliable information online. One site might say the average GRE-Q at a school is 750 while another says 789. Is there a favorite among anyone out there?

Thanks so much.

I don't think GRE score is the only criteria that would make your application favorable to graduate schools. Your statement of purpose,work, research, grades..etc are all considered factors that would either strengthen or weaken your application. 740 is not a bad score. What I would recommend before thinking about re-taking the GRE is to email schools and ask about the minimum GRE score. Some schools would tell you the average score for accepted Phd students. If you are in the range, then you better work on everything else and not worry about the GRE score that much.