Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Finally done with it! 1530 (800Q, 730V)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Okay, I will try new methods that would teach me how to do that. Thanks again!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Gre_K: I seriously doubt if GRE is an indicator of IQ or Math ability. I think what got me through was calmness during the test and ability to see through ETS's traps.

And about the essay competition, I'm sure you'll kick my ***. I'm just glad to get 5.0 in my AWA, could'nt really expect more.

Shad: I think you should do BigBook questions. I learnt a lot of ETS traps present in RC's by doing BigBook. Reading the passage is one part, but looking out for the differences between similar looking right and wrong answer is a totally different thing.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Analcogon: I wish I was from the IIT's. But, I'm from a second tier engineering college in South India!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    congrats sanjay....I am new to this site.I have to take my test on December 11..can u guide me the way i have to take the practise materials regarding the quant.I am cocentrating on the verbal from big book as u suggested in your previous posts.Please suggest the materials regarding the quant and the practise tests recommended to take before i take the actual gre..

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks Sanjay! It's not easy to do very well in RC especially when English is not one's first language! But it's possible. As far as big book, you mean to take the whole test in big book or just focus on RC passages in big book? By any chance did you post your GRE practice scores? If you still have that record would you be able to post those! Thank you so much

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage GRE_Kickboxer's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Sanjay: Well, the GRE was originally designed to be an IQ test. That doesn't mean it is a good one.

Believe it or not, your score on the GRE predicts your score on IQ tests quite well.

However IQ tests aren't really all that good to begin with.

I still have a lot of respect for your math abilities. I think your natural insight is definitely above average. The GMAT math section requires a lot of analytical ability to do well, more so than the GRE.

I bet you would be a pretty good chess player if you wanted to be.

I was teasing about the essay competition, of course.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    GRE_K: Start that new business !! You will earn more money !!

sanjay: Anything under VIT, Anna University, Madras University, Coimbatore Institute of Tech, PSG College is ok with Anna and Madras really ruling the roost.

I am from Jadavpur University, Kolkata. Heard of it ever?

Here's a link I am posting which you might find useful since adcoms take into account, the reputation of foreign universities:

India Today Ranks VIT UNIVERSITY as No.1 Private Engineering Institution in the Country
    ‘Outlook’ Ranking of Top Govt. Engineering Colleges-India AdmissonSync

Is your college on the list? Remember, you have to write the university name and not the college on your application so even if you are under some godforsaken college under anna university, you are still good to go.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Believe it or not, your score on the GRE predicts your score on IQ tests quite well.
    That's probably because if you have a low IQ, you won't learn the material very well, but if you have a high IQ, there's no reason you wouldn't have learned the material. When you consider that most of us learned the things in the math section eight years ago in middle school, it's clearly not about the ability to grasp high-level material. It is a good measure of your concentration and attention to detail, though, which of course are important. Maybe even more important than intelligence, because a lot of people who have the intellect to succeed don't work hard enough to see it through.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    The GRE cannot measure your IQ, I strongly disagree. How about students who get better as the test goes on? Those students will certainly get a poor score because the way the GRE is designed you must do near perfection in the beginning to do well. Furthermore, the test is very coach-able, KAPLAN has a very good track records, a few of my friends who did poorly the first time did much better after attending Kaplan courses. Those who are non-native speakers of English and those who don't have the resources to get all the prep materials they need are at a disadvantage as well. In light of those I just don't see how GRE can somehow predict your IQ. A great performance on the GRE will certainly help to get into grad school, but its definitely not some kinda of ego-booster to make one feels good about their intelligence. I got 750 Q and 520 V and I am satisfied with my score. Did someone who got 800 Q and 790 V have a higher IQ than me?

After memorizing over 3000 words and spending over 2 months studying, a candidate who get a very good score should not be surprised about his/her performance. It is not necessarily the result of high IQ, but can attributed to hard work and diligence.
    Last edited by IntEcon80; 11-18-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    Congratulations!

I've noticed several times your quick responses. You've made an opportunity for us to practice BigGRE CAT. I'm really glad to see your success in GRE.
    Rgds,
    Jakir

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information