Urch Forums

1510 GRE: 800 Quant, 710 Verbal, 5.5 AWA

kicius

So happy that's out of the way. Thanks to everyone on the forum - I haven't been on it for very long but I feel like it really made a positive difference.

Didn't use a lot of prep materials - just powerprep and kaplan; and didn't use word lists at all so probably am not the best person to talk about test prep.

But as far as the actual test is concerned, the most useful advice i can think of is: 'don't panic'. The fact that I was constantly worried and thinking waaay to much (e.g. 'omg, this question is easy. did i get the last one wrong? omg i'm screwed...') had such an adverse impact on my speed and concentration. So yeah. Don't worry too much - just focus on the question in front of you, and be confident and trust in your judgement.

• 2 weeks later...
great score..hi friends i want to know whether the colleges take the best out of the two gre scores or the average..i heard from my friends that some schools take the average and some take the best....can u provide me the stuff regarding the evaluation of gre scores by different universities..if there is any link plz forward..

Thanks guys.

Chowdary, the way colleges use your GRE scores depends more on which degree you apply for than the university. For some degrees (like PhD in econ), you need a really high quant score but they don't really care much about verbal (as long as your score's high enough to prove that you're literate...my boyfriend got 800 for quant but a pretty low score for verbal and still managed to get into PhD Econ at Princeton). For others, verbal and AW scores are more important. For stuff like Public Policy, they are looking for a balance of both quant and verbal skills, in which case they might look at the average or the combined score.

As for tips...well, more practice is always better than less. Also, it's v. important to not be nervous. I was pretty nervous at the start of mine and almost screwed up my quant section.

thanks kicis, for your generous reply...I am from INDIA and basically we are in little touch with the verbal.I has plenty of time(4 months) to prepare for the gre.quant is not a problem with and i completed almost up to 2000 barrons words please suggest me the way i have to further proceed so that i will get above 600 in verbal.i have to get it.please suggest me the steps.

If you have the time , try writing at least one practice response (most GRE books have a selection of topics) under the test time constraint everyday. If there isn't, try writing an outline with the main points rather than a whole response (e.g. look at a topic, give yourself 5 minutes to come up with a framework for a response including your position, the main arguments and examples, then review it to see how it can be improved)