Urch Forums

Dec 4th v:690 , q:790

ozgulker

13 months after my dismal performance in GRE (360, 800, 4) , I sat back again in front of the computer today to tackle GRE. Although my aim was to pass 700 in v, and repeat 800 in q, I couldnt although I am still satistified with my scores, considering the frustration of me when I learned I got a dismal 40 in TSE a day before my GRE. Fortunately it didnt affect my performance that much,

Here is my test experience.

AWA

As usual, test began with the issue topic, I wrote a fairly long essay although sometimes verbose. I have given three long examples yet since ETS raters dont like my stuff much , I am not that hopeful.

Argument was better, since I had brainstormed on that topic a bit before my test. It is better organized than the issue topic.

Overall, I will not go definitely below 4, but not hopeful that I will pass 5 either. PLEASE ETS, give me a 5 this time.

Quantitative 1)

After AWA, I have met with a very easy, even ludicrous Q. Since I had taken GRE before, I quickly ruled out that this had to be a pretest. There was not a single question that had distracted me. I ran quickly this part, I finished with 15 minutes left.

Verbal)

And verbal, this was the nightmare of me, since I got my 360 before. I was working this time very diligently and it paid off. Lots of Barrons words and not so many difficult questions. Yet I had time problems 2 successive reading passages threw my time management out of the window. I have finished about 9 questions within the last 5-6 minutes. This was generally a very standard Verbal with no surprises.

Quantitative 2)

I knew that second q would be much more difficult. Seeing 1st and 2nd questions instantly confirmed that I was right. Lots of probabilty, difficult and cumbersome questions all running. And I had lost my courage after carelessly selecting the wrong answer for a question that I have worked more than 2 minutes. I got it and it swept from me. Perhaps I missed 800 for that, who knows? After that I tried to keep my pace, although a bit distracted because of this and because I was tired. I finished with 1 minutes left.

Overall

I was not expecting to get 690, 790 after the test. My hands were shaking when I pressed the report button. Then I relieved, sent my scores and left.

And here is the thank you part. I thank all the participants of the TestMagic Forum and Erin. This forum was the impetus for me to think that getting a good verbal score was possible. Thank you, thank you all!

PS: Since I am tired and a bit busy right now, I will explain how I worked for the test, especially verbal later.