Urch Forums

took gre today 1380(verbal:680, math:700)

piyopiyo

The test seemed a lot harder the the powerprep though my score was indicative of it(P1: 1410, P2 1350) but somehow it seemed like the wording of the tests was just so confusing. I had two math sections. the first one was so hard that I didn't finfish 8 questions. every single question on that test was difficult compared to the practice tests. i felt like crying after my time ended . I thought I would fail miserably.next came verbal, the vocabs were all pretty easy. (I study from barrons word list) but the RC are hard to answer. I probably got most of them wrong on those. But you really need to pace yourself,I spent so much time on RC, I had like half of the test left in 10 minutes. so I was rushing through it. so I kind of rush through the last RC to finish up the analogies and anytomns. the next math section was easier but still kind of hard. at least harder than all the practice tests I've done. I still didn't finish like 3-4 questions. I thought I did badly the whole time I was taking it and I just try to work through it and not let it bother me.the only thing I did do was take extra time on the frist few questions since I heard that answering those right give you highr score so I rechecked those answers. Maybe that's why I didn't finish my test?!!! Anyway, I am a little disappointed with my math score but considerign how bad I thought I did, it came out decent. thanks everyone.!!! and good luck!

I also took it today and got only 420 in Verbal. I got 2 RCs in a row at the 5th question. I know everyone can get different questions on the test. but can I ask when did your RC come, if you still remember?

i got 3 RC passages. one like 3rd question and one like 10th and one like 4-5 questions before the end

• 2 weeks later...
The test seemed a lot harder the the powerprep though my score was indicative of it(P1: 1410, P2 1350) but somehow it seemed like the wording of the tests was just so confusing. I had two math sections. the first one was so hard that I didn't finfish 8 questions. every single question on that test was difficult compared to the practice tests. i felt like crying after my time ended . I thought I would fail miserably.next came verbal, the vocabs were all pretty easy. (I study from barrons word list) but the RC are hard to answer. I probably got most of them wrong on those. But you really need to pace yourself,I spent so much time on RC, I had like half of the test left in 10 minutes. so I was rushing through it. so I kind of rush through the last RC to finish up the analogies and anytomns. the next math section was easier but still kind of hard. at least harder than all the practice tests I've done. I still didn't finish like 3-4 questions. I thought I did badly the whole time I was taking it and I just try to work through it and not let it bother me.the only thing I did do was take extra time on the frist few questions since I heard that answering those right give you highr score so I rechecked those answers. Maybe that's why I didn't finish my test?!!! Anyway, I am a little disappointed with my math score but considerign how bad I thought I did, it came out decent. thanks everyone.!!! and good luck!

2 math section ???? where they 28 q's in all ???

hey piyopiyo ,

Congrats men ur score for verbal is awesome . For Quants everybody is crying now . I suppose there can be highlight news about maths can be qui vive on test magic's first thread. please moderator check this out . Quite useful for prospective test takers.

piyopiyo tell us about ur success story of verbal and prep materials for GRE .

Regards,

Tam

Hi,

Cong for your score.Would u please tell us more about Quantitative.

What was very hard?Did u see any new types of questions like

probabilities... or they were the same types of questions like graphs and ....

but harder. Would u please share all the things u remember from your test.

hey piyopiyo ,

Congrats men ur score for verbal is awesome . For Quants everybody is crying now . I suppose there can be highlight news about maths can be qui vive on test magic's first thread. please moderator check this out . Quite useful for prospective test takers.

piyopiyo tell us about ur success story of verbal and prep materials for GRE .

Regards,

Tam

For verbal, I study the word lists from barrons. and did all the practice tests in barrons and kaplan.

Hi Piyopiyo,

Congrats on your score! How many months have you devoted in studying? Thanks.

well, I actually got started 2 months prior to my scheduled exam. I study hard for only the 1st month. the second month I was busy and went on vacation so I didn't study much that month. I was feeling very ill-prepared a few days before the exam

Hi,

Cong for your score.Would u please tell us more about Quantitative.

What was very hard?Did u see any new types of questions like

probabilities... or they were the same types of questions like graphs and ....

but harder. Would u please share all the things u remember from your test.

I had a very easy probablility question. I just remember the questions were not very direct in computation and logic. or maybe I was just really nervous and couldn't think straight. I don't know if it is better to finish all the questions or to work on them and get the early ones right. But if you want to finish all the questions, you must be prettyu quick on your computation and logic. Cause I had never not finished a math test before.

Regarding timing, I think it comes down to a few things:

1) Practice. Cat timing is very unique.

2) Knowing when to guess. Personally, if I can't think how to set up a problem in 30-45 seconds, I try to move on. Theoretically, you'll hit a wall with the CAT where you will start getting questions you either don't know how to do or are outside of your abilities. This is how the CAT determines your score. So at some point, unless you're an 800 scorer, you'll have to know when to call it quits. Being stubbon and spending 5 minutes on a problem (unless it's the first few) you don't know how to do or you feel you could get with 5+ minutes will eat up your time and make it hard to finish. The only exception may be the DI section which takes a bit longer to complete.

One other exception, if I was not confident on my answer, I spend more time on the next question. According to many posters, you get penalized more for answering successive questions wrong as opposed to spreading out your wrong answers.