Urch Forums

1080 in GRE

huzach

hi,

i gave my GRE yest and reelly bombed.....got 1080 (Quant 620, Verbal 460), i had taken a month to rpepare reelly fro this....most of the time was taken up by vocab. i had done entire Kaplan and barrons for maths and gave lots of tests also (Score800, Princeton, Powerprep, Grebible). i jus dunno what went wrong...

i have done my BE in CS (85% marks) and MS in CS (3.3 GPA) and intends to take admission in MSCS or MSIS.

i intend on applying in New York Univ, Renesselar Polytechnic Univ, NJIT, Stevens Institute and Rochester univ.

kindly suggest me what to do. am really worried abt my chances.

1. do i hold any chances?

2. and if u suggest to give it again then what else shud i do abt maths?

3. doesnt univ's take average of the two scores in case of repeating the tests.

regards,

Huzach

thanks for ur reply.

as for practice material, what do u suggest? I practiced entire Kaplan and Barrons.

am not that bad in maths, i jus panicked during the test. i had the Quant section after the Analytical, then a verbal and then another quantitative. First Quant was apprently very difficult, i cud jus finish 20 questions in it. all were very tough and time consuming. this reelly brought my spirits down. verbal went fine but thr were too similar choices and under the pressure i guess i made some mistakes. the second Quant was relatively better but still very lengthy questions in comparison to PP questions.

i had done entire Barrons word lists, many analogies, SC, RC from barrons as well. i dunno why my score came so low in Verbal.

i guess i freaked out alot during the test.

suggest me material regarding practicing more Quant and verbal. ans some advice as to how much time shud i take in ths and give the test again. is 1 month time enuff?

regards

huzach

Well frm wat i can make out what u hv gone thru is simmilar to what many frndz of mine faced, they did well thru out but were crestfallen on the D DAY 'coz they lost their nerve.

As per what i can contemplate frm ur response is that u hv the arsenal ready u need only need to fire it rightly.

Btw most of my frndz who faltered the first time came out with flying colors on the second attempt, i advice u that u revise all sections again n prune out ur mistakes that u may hv committed on the actual test n u shd b doing just fine.

my scores in different tests were:

powerprep test 1 (4 weeks before test): Q:630

princeton review (1 week before test): Q: 730, V: 700

score800 (1 week before test): Q: 650, V: 690

grebible (5 days before test): Q:610, V:730

powerprep test 1 (repeat, 5 days before the test): Q:680, V: 470

powerprep test 2 (3 days before test): Q: 650, V: 430

power test 2 (repeat, 2 days before test): Q: 750, V: 690

grebible (2 days before test): Q: 610, V: 460

actual gre score : Q:620, V 460

kidnly suggest me more practice material for Quant section. i did not practice from bigbook at all, was that a mistake?

I am sorry, but I did not start preparation using all the books, so I cannot compare. Someone who took the exam already may be able to advice you. But as there are many math problems in the Big Book (and assuming the BB quantitative is not too inferior in quality), you have the chance to have a lot of practice. Something you may consider doing before the next GRE. But of course, someone who has already given the exam will be of much more help to you.