Urch Forums

score 114

sm_55

Got my scores 114: 30R, 30L, 26S, 28W

prep time: 4 weeks (speaking 3 days)

I think you have to find a strategy and learning material that works best for you. Here are my comments:

I found buying the test material to be very confusing because every publication has so many variations of the material that they sell. Before buying any book online, go to pubs website and find out how many versions they have. No matter which prep book you buy make sure that you get the title "with audio cds" and not just "with cd".

Studied: Kaplan(Full), barrons(7 Tests), mastering(S,W), Longmann(L), ets(Nothing) and barrons sample essays.

I read kaplan cover to cover. It has some good tips for all sections. I took Kaplan and Barrons practice tests.

Listening: Longmann's listening is good for practice. I found it to be very easy, but it helped me in developing notes taking strategy(it proved to be useful even during the integreted Qs in speaking section). I think Barrons listening was very close to the real test.

Speaking: I haven't found any book that is useful. Listen to jason's advice (video on his website) for all questions then modify it to whatever works for you. For Q1, Q2, and Q5 I followed his instructions.

Q1: pick a few qualities and examples to support them about ppl, place and event. jason has quite a few samples

Q2: practice a few toefl writing topics about "you agree or disagree" statements.

q3-q6 focus on how well you summarize and para phrase info. for q4 and q6 i wrote down as much as possible while listening. then during the prep time, i just placed a tick mark next to the main points. Remember, you have very little time to speak. so, you can't speak about every thing. Again, focus on summarizing skills.

Writing: barrons sample essays will give you a lot of ideas. kaplan has some very good tips on writing a cohesive essay. mastering skills has 20 odd essays (with only 3 paras -- on real exam you have to write 5 paras 300+ words). try to identify COMMON spelling and grammatical mistakes that you make during practice. The text editor in exam has a word count feature. i think ets should wake up and add a spell checker also.

Wow! Your score is so cool! I would like to earn a score like this! (Anyway, any score higher than 110 is enough for me; I'll set it as my personal threshold that I have to pass someday in the future).

For me, I just took the test on 1Nov 2008; I initially expected only 100+ coz it was my second attempt, and my first one two years ago was quiet unpresentable (74/120).

This is the score of my second attempt

Total 105 : Reading 30 :p; Listening 25 :(; Speaking 23:hmm:; Writing 27:eek:

My test experience

To be frankly, the reading score was quiet shocking to me coz when I did the last question, the summarizing part, I was queit sure that I used only my instinct to answer that question( I had only 20 secs left for that part to be done). Therefore, I expected only 28(in case of any unthinkable mistakes). Overall, the reading section was okay unless we mention about its length:crazy:.

I would like to get some scientific-related topics, but I got only 1 geology and 2 European histories which, of course, were not my appetites.

Personally thinking, the listening section was rather tricky, but it might be easy for others. I had a problem with a test taker beside me(I forgot to tell you that a test room I got had no partitions b/w test takers; instead, it was like taking an exam in a normal classroom in highschool). Her server was temporarily halted, so she got frustrated and pissed off at others while I was listening to my part, reducing my concentration to the contents. I feared that I would get a lower score than planned, but 25 was okay when counting on the fact that I had to tolerate with an annoyance created by her.

The speaking part was as initially expected. The first question was as planned, demanding me to describe my favorite style of clothings. The second question was about who I do think are more informed, between the elder and the younger. Other 4 questions were quiet difficult for me due to very limited time allowed for preparation and speaking. However, I think that the most important thing is summarizing skill as sm_55 already pointed out.

The writing score was quiet below my expectation. I was always informed by others that an essay's length was the priority, and that I must have a good command of grammar. Thus, I typed about 270 words for the first Q, then almost 600 for Q2. I think that I had problem with spelling of some easily misunderstood words, so instead of meaning this, I typed that.

Well, I think I have to stop my comment coz it seems unstoppable.

Congrats to you sm_55, you are so smart!:tup:

congrats!! 105 wow :tup:

the places i am applying to ask for 80+

Yes, i forgot to mention about the noise factor. I think it is better to take a few practice tests in a noisy env (like cafe). we also didn't have any dividers. i can listen to all the conversations(of about 20 test takers) that were going on.

i think an essay with 350 words can easily fetch you close to 30 points as long as it is cohesive w/ minor grmr/splg mistakes. having 600 wrds is gr8, but then you are prone to committing more errors :(

Hi, Congratulations sm_55!

I would like to ask some guidance from you on the toefl speaking. I had been taking this test for several times and my scores are always S24 & W26. I have some questions that I hope you will give me some answers. I have all kinds of toefl book. Barrons, Kaplan, Longman, Bruce rogers, Delta and ETS. I read your statement and you mentioned strategies, I am hoping that you will share the strategies you used in the test that made you pass.

1. How important is grammar in speaking?

2. How did you answer the speaking questions?

3. Will you state some example answers in Q2 and Q3 and Q4 which you used and made you get the 26?

Please help me I dont know what to do anymore.

Thank you, your help will highly be appreciated.

1. How important is grammar in speaking?
I don't know the weightage given to grammar. But i think grammar isn't very imp. it is ok if you make minor mistakes and have a few false starts. The most important thing is to be relaxed. as long as the grader can understand you response, i think grmr mistakes, accent, etc shouldn't matter much. I have typical Indian accent.

2. How did you answer the speaking questions?
I paid attn to speaking clearly. Remember the grader has to understand what i am trying to say, so i didnt speak too fast :)

whenever possible i wrote phrases instead of just words esp if it is suppose to be the beginning of a para to overcome this problem that i had: if i wrote only words, it was taking me a few seconds to form sentences which resulted in big pauses.

i used 'although, on the other hand, because, however, ..'.

3. Will you state some example answers in Q2 and Q3 and Q4 which you used and made you get the 26?
For Q2, i used the following template

for two reasons.

20-30 sec

15-20 sec

i gave more time for reason one because i was not sure if i will have enuf stuff for reason 2. just to be on safe side. initially after reason1, i would go blank before starting reason 2. this is one place where it helped me to write the starting phrase for reason 2.

for q3:

Step 1: Summarize reading passage

talks about .... addl sentence(s) [10sec]

Step 2:

paraphrase the info from the conversation which is pertinent to the change or the announcement. Be sure to include the man/woman's reaction and the reason he or she gives. Jason stresses that more time should be given to reasons, but i didn't find enough material in the conversation and we are not suppose to give our own reasons. So, i just paraphrased the conversation which by default includes reaction and reasons.

personally, i felt this to be the easiest qstn. we don't have to come up with stuff. just report back what you have heard and the content is non-academic.

q4 is tough because it contains academic concepts. plus we are suppose to summarize and integrate passage and lecture. During prep time look at your notes and identify main points. this will help you to organize the response.

template for response:

10 sec

step 1. paraphrase the material from the lecture.

step 2. integrate by adding a sentence saying Don't restate anything from reading passage. it will eat away your time.

repeat step1 and step2

Hi thank you for your prompt and detailed reply.

I hope I am not asking so much from you, because I already asked many questions. Will it be possible for you to give me a sample answer? So I will know where are my mistakes when I make a statement during the speaking part?

Please help me, I am in desperate need to pass the test. I have follow so many patterns but I am not sure anymore which is correct. I thought I will ask you, since you made it and I believe experience is the best teacher.

Once again THANK YOU and your help will highly be appreciated.

i sent you a pm with my response to q1. for integrated part, i was speaking from my notes. So, i don't remember much.

if you share your sample responses, i can give you my comments. i am not an expert, but i dont mind giving you my 2 cents :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...