Urch Forums

Adventure TOEFL Test: 25th June, 21?-273

incinka

Hi!

Yesterday was my TOEFL test and, though I might get the score I need, I would say it was a quite painful experience. I had to better my score compared to my last try, 273/4.5 because I need 250/5.0.

But it was a day full of hassles. First I had to get up at 4.30 am because the only free appointment was at 9 am in Frankfurt 250km (150 miles) away from my home town (Bonn) with no positive effect on my alertness. And in addition, shortly before the test began I noticed symptoms of a beginning diarrhea. Therefore I didn’t eat anything before, because I thought that running to the toilet every five minutes could deeply affect my score.

At the beginning, my situation was still ok. Listening was hard at first, but I somehow got used to it and the large talks at the end seemed a little bit easier to me. But then, my stomach recovered, which resulted in an enormous hunger. I felt like wolfing a whole wild pig, I was almost starving! In the 5 minutes break I went directly to my food supplies in my locker in order to eat what can be eaten in 5 minutes, but as the reading began, I felt that this hadn’t been enough. By collecting all my forces I got somehow through the reading section but it was clear for me that I wouldn’t be able to be creative enough to write a good essay. And this was my weak point last time! So, the only solution was getting something to drink and to eat before the last section. I don’t know whether it was because of my pale face, my shaking hands or my deplorable appearance but somehow I persuaded the supervisor that I felt ill and had to eat something and he allowed me to leave the room for a while. By and by, after eating two apples, drinking cola and with time to recover, life returned to me and I began to feel better. Then, I was concentrated enough to write my essay. The topic was #175, whether teachers should lecture or also students should do some of the talking. I voted, of course against my conviction, for the first choice and wrote about the advantages of lectures and disadvantages of seminars. Perhaps it was still on-topic and I can still hope.

When I saw my result, 21?-273 (I don’t remember all digits), I didn’t know how I was able to achieve this. Perhaps my guardian angel saved me. So, when my essay is ok, it could have been the last time that I wrote the TOEFL test!

I want to thank all of you who have helped me with your suggestions and corrections here and Erin for this wonderful forum!

Good luck for all of you!

Incinka.

Hi, incinka!

Congratulations!!! Great score! I will pray for your essay score!

I want to speak that last time I had exactly the same score - 273 and 4.5, and as you I have to get 250 and 5.0. I hope that next time I will manage to reach this score.

Good luck!

Madinak.

Please, review my essays.

Hi kfree,

I'm applying for Cambridge/UK. As far I know, in comparison with other universities it's quite high. Many universities don't require a minimum bound for TWE.

Good luck!

incinka.

incinka,

Thank you very much.

Kfree

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Today I received my final essay score: 270/5.5!!

I'm really relieved that I can look ahead to my studies in Cambridge/UK now after months of uncertainty.

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me by correcting my essays!!

I wish you all the best!

incinka.