Urch Forums

My Toefl exam

ciquita0

[/size]MY FINAL SCORE: 270 - I got 5.00 at the essay! IUPIIII!!!!![/size]

"Hello everybody, :)

I never thought I would live the day that I will post at this topic: JUST FINISHED MY TOEFL TEST!!!

But here am trying to share my experience with you. [^]

First of all, here is my preliminary score:

- Listening - 27

- Structure/Writing - 12 - 28

- Reading - 27 :(

Total: 220-273 (I hope I'll get over 250 :o).

I got at the center half an hour earlier. I do recommend you to get there earlier, as there are other people that take the test and the check in formalities are pretty long.

When I entered the test room, I was asigned a place and I found on the table some gums to put into my ears so I won't be disturbed by the noise made around me :D (funny). They were very useful.

I started with the tutorial that I also recommend (you get used with the computer, you get rid of all the emotions that you may have). Until I got to press Dismiss Directions to start the test, I was ready.

The first section is the listening section. I set the volume control (not at the maximum because you may hear distorted - I was lucky to have on the hearphones wire a little volume control that I used anytime I thought I need to hear a litlle bit lowder). I was lucky to get some interesting listenings - so it was not hard for me to pay attention. The reading section was pretty ugly...I got only historical passages...Nothing as interesting as to keep my eyes wide opened. At the end I got really bored and that for sure reflects in my reading score...

Also I used the tutorial before the essay section to exercise the keyboard. For example, the tab key did not work. You have to use the space bar. My esssay topic was topic no 115: "Some people prefer to plan activities for their free time veru carefully. Others choose not to make any plans at allfor their free time. Compare the benefits of planning free-time activities with the benefits of not making plans. Which do you prefer - planning or not planning or your leisure time? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your choise".

I tried to be as much possible on the topic. A little introduction...But, I couldn't find benefits for not planning your free time and I wrote the 1rst paragraph with the advantages of planning and the 2nd with the disavantages of not planning (I prefer to plan my leisure time). I wrote a short third para and a conclusion. All in all I think I was a little out of topic. I am afraid that the essay is shorter than 250 words...So be carefull...:( I am dissapointed about my essay structure...I could have done better...[|)]

Now, I can say that it was easier than I expected to be. For example, I tried the Toefl Cambridge test which is difficult and has nothing to do with the Toefl real test.

Don't be afraid! There is nothing to be afraid of...:D

And anyway CBT is computer adaptive (so if you don't answer right, the test will give you easier questions...I think so...:p).

I am waiting for my final score and I am hopeing to get a good score.

[/size][/size] I want to thank you all for the assitance - especially Vaya and Erin- and I will try to post here for the ones that are still waiting for their test day.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!;)"

Congratulations!

You did very well.Can you give me any advice how to improve my score on the listening section(I got 21 which was lower than my score on practice CD -ROMs)?

Which books did you use for your exam preparation?

Did you learn idioms?

Best wishes,

Elena.:)

Hello Elena,

This a latin name...nice name.:)

I used for listening the links that Erin gave us on the listening section of this forum (and other people put there some really interesting and useful links). Are sure you tried them all? I do recommend you to take a look.

I did not used any book...only some computer tests...that you can also find on this site...

If you search on this forum and on this iste a little bit, you will be amazed how many useful things you'll find.

Good luck!;)

Hello ciquita0!

What a nice score I see here! Don't worry about your reading section and all that stuff. It's over. Relax and enjoy freedom :)

I am positive you'll get 250. Somehow I noticed that almost everybody thinks that their essays are off-topic. I thought so too. It wasn't :) You should get a decent score, you are worth it.

Best wishes, Renata