Urch Forums

TOEFL compared with GMAT verbal

goe

Just heared I have to take the TOEFL. I am completly new to this game and was wondering how difficulty level compares with GMAT verbal (I took this).

What are the standard books to prepare and what is a reasonable prep time.

Can I take a good diagnostic somewhere?

thx

Hard to say, different people take different time, however I did notice those who studied GMAT or even GRE do well in TOEFL. Only thing you have to worry about is the Speaking section. There are lot of tips when you read the different posts and you can ask question like this. As for time it can be as short as 2 weeks to maybe 6 months (or longer for some who need 26 on speaking.)

In my opinion, The most similarity of GMAT and TOEFL is reading. SC and CR are not ask in TOEFL, though we can use grammar skill from SC.

However, reading in GMAT different from that in TOEFL on it's purpose. RC in GMAT want student to know the structure of argument and reasoning, but that in TOEFL want student to know topic and to indentify details, when they read the questions. TOEFL always provide redundant detail to waste our time.

So, I always read every sentences in RC in GMAT to understand the link of reasoning, which the author states. And I read only topic sentences in TOEFL to save time and come back to find the right answer after read the questions.

I hope that my experience may help you. Good luck..