Urch Forums

Punctuation

THUDandBLUNDER

what's the answer?

Bill, where Ben had had "had", had had "had had". "Had had" had had the better effect on the teacher.

And if we change one of the names to Had (short for Hadley) we can have:

Bill, where Had had had "had", had had "had had". Had Had had "had had", "had had" would have been better.

That that is, is.

That that is not, is not.

Is that it? It is.

:

The second one sounds like an extract from my philosophy book :D

Here's s an excerpt from a book on grammar called 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' ( a really good book on grammar) by Lynne Truss which shows how punctuation can completely alter the intended meaning...

Dear Jack,

I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we’re apart. I can be forever happy – will you let me be yours?

Jill

Dear Jack,

I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men I yearn! For you I have no feelings whatsoever. When we’re apart I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?

Yours,

Jill

:p

The second one sounds like an extract from my philosophy book :D

Here's something excerpted from a book on grammar called 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' ( a really good book on grammar) by Lynne Truss which shows how punctuation can completely alter the intended meaning...

Dear Jack,

I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we’re apart. I can be forever happy – will you let me be yours?

Jill

Dear Jack,

I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men I yearn! For you I have no feelings whatsoever. When we’re apart I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?

Yours,

Jill

:p

:D :p

reminds me of this one.

Hang him, not leave him.

Hang him not, leave him.