Urch Forums

World's longest thread?

raghuveer_v

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The Message board I administer may quite possibly, have the world's longest thread.

Background: Board location is http://www.rushmessageboard.com. The Counterparts Message Board. It is a fan website for the musical group Rush.

Thread: I'm Bored. At last look, it has 190,161 replies. It started in the summer of 2002.

(If you want to view the thread, you'll have to register as a member, as I have guest viewing turned off.)

One of the members of my site, has been keeping a "scoreboard" of the longest threads he has found, and we're solidly in 1st place. Next closest is a thread on the Spymac Forums, "Longest Thread Ever?" at 112,067 replies.

Finally, I found this thread under a Google Search, "World's Longest Thread".

That's a pretty long thread, too bad we can't see it.

You know, if your forum is pretty large, you could get it a bit more publicity by posting it on bigboards.com. I think you need over 500K posts.

How does your Invision handle the load? Just wondering. :)

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

First, it's been a long time! :D

I will not go into details, but for nearly 6 years, we had a stalker who at the time had another Rush related message board. He shut the board down 4 separate times by sending standard server logs (sometimes 30 pages long) saying those logs were hacking attempts. He would hope that someone who received his emails wouldn't take the time to read the logs, and just assumed what he was saying was true. When I first posted the link he was able to do this with EV1, and we lost the board for a week (but not the data).

Then in 2006, we were sooooo fortunate to be involved in the managed.com disaster. In a nutshell, a group purchased server companies throughout the U.S., said they would disable servers to move everyone to their data center in New Jersey, then they would "loose" the hard drive in the move, took them months to look for the hard drive, yet continued to charge monthly hosting fees. They never did find the hard drive...

Anyways, that thread I mentioned before was re-created in 2006, and we're currently at over 254,000 replies. So we very well may be back in the top 10 or so.

Here's the link to the thread:

Counterparts Message Board -> I'm Bored