Urch Forums

I have a Dilemma

Stormgal

I am a 33 year old American-born female who's interested in pursuing an MBA, but I feel that my efforts will be futile, since I am not a manager, nor have I ever had any real experience as a manager.

I'll tell you what I do have, so that you can help me see if my efforts will go to waste:

I've been working at the same job for about 8 years, however in two different departments. I have received professional recognition and promotions at work - but not to the management level. At the company where I work, to be promoted to management, you either have to transfer to a different department into a management position, or your supervisor has to plead his case over and over again to a much larger committee, cutting through time consuming red tape. (My boss had supposedly tried, but his efforts were fruitless).

I have 10+ years of community service and volunteer work.

My undergrad GPA is 3.8, but I have yet to take the GMAT. I graduated with latin, and greek honors, and received a prestigious honors award. ( I also received two different awards for my community service - one from the city where I live).

Do you think that the adcom will ask themselves something like, "Why is this old woman interested in an MBA, when she's really never managed." In other words, is management experience really a prerequisite for entry into an MBA program?

I really would love to attend business school, but everytime that I read other prospective student's sample essays, and listen to their experience, they often start with something like, "I have over 10 years of leading the Engineering department at Chrysler..." http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/traurig/sad-smiley-021.gif

Hi,

I am an indian female engineer and just like you, I don't have any mgmt experience either.

Sometimes its just a matter of luck that you are in the right dept at tthe right time when they need a new mgrs. I was in the Same company for 6 yrs but in difft depts or business units. Every time you move into a difft business unit, you have to establisht yourself atleast for 2-3 yrs before you can get any kind of promotion. Plus if the business unit just disappears yet you are not laid off...then you don't have much of a choice.

I think you should not loose heart. You can always portray how you have gained mgmt experience perhaps in your non-profit and community work exp etc. You need to highlight your strengths.

Also, don't wait for the most perfect opportune moment, those never comes. And there's never anything you can do about your past.

So I would suggest you to push ahead and focus and get into a program where you know you will gain a lot such as a part time program or executive MBA prog etc.

I think the options are many you just have to find the right one for you. Harvard, Wharton etc is not for everyone. It all depends on what you want from an MBA and how you want to use it after that.

A prof I met once at a berkeley extension class advised me, MBA offerings are like cars being offered by a dealer. You have to look at an MBA as if you are buying a car, treat it with the same attitude, what works for you is what is within your budget, within your capacities and that which will provide the necessary background/career path for you.

I will be highly surprised if every MBA coming out of Harvard is as successful as Michael Dell, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs etc.

Hi,

A prof I met once at a berkeley extension class advised me, MBA offerings are like cars being offered by a dealer. You have to look at an MBA as if you are buying a car, treat it with the same attitude, what works for you is what is within your budget, within your capacities and that which will provide the necessary background/career path for you.

I will be highly surprised if every MBA coming out of Harvard is as successful as Michael Dell, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs etc.

That's some perspective!!!!

newayz all the best ladies

Cheers

adonis