Urch Forums

GPA - Percentage

Amit_GMAT

Hello All,

My undergraduate university in India had a percentage system, where I got 64%, which is considered very good in my department, as the top position holder had close to 69%, and I was 3rd in the class.

I did my M.S studies in the US, with several PhD level courses and have a GPA of 3.5/4.0

And my GMAT is 730, with 51 in quant.

I was filling out some applications and most of the schools ask for GPA the the form: "X" out of "Y".

Now, what should I write over there. If I do simple conversion of 64/100 to U.S GPA, it comes out lower than 3, which would be wrong, as it depicts a wrong image. Moreover, nowhere on the school appllication, I could find any question asking for Class Rank or Top position holder's percentage etc.

My undergraduate school recently mailed my transcripts to the universities, but they just attached a cover letter saying that our university has a percentage system ...and that's it. They didn't mention the class rank and top postion holder's percentage (I guess, because our university did not officially used to rank students).

Any suggestions about what should I do and what should I fill in the two X and Y boxed for GPA: "X" out of "Y".

Thanks

Amit

Hey Amit,

I had been to a reception hosted by Chicago GSB last week. The Assistant Dean who had come over, told us not to worry about the conversion at all. She said that they know how difficult it is to score high percentages in India and they'll do the conversion for the applicant, by comparing the applicant's % with other similar applicants' %s - both past and present.

If I were you, I would fill in --NA--. You will be sending them the transcripts anyway; so why bother?

- Maelstrom