Urch Forums

Admit- University of Chicago GSB Full-Time MBA 2006 - 2008

RupStar

Hi guys its been a while since i have been here but just wanted to drop a line informing you guys that i just got into the Full Time program at the University of Chicago's Graduate School of Business.

Thanks to everyone for their help while i prepared for my GMAT and the advice on the applications provided here was very benificial.

Feel free to contact me if i could be of assistance to anyone.

R

A bit of info:

Age 23

BS in Economics

2 years work experience

Sorry to respond late but here is my info

GMAT: 720 awa 6.0

GPA 3.7

BS Economics (Mindor: Statistics , Concentration: Finance)

well my situation is that the amount of "time based" WE is low- 2 yrs, but i have been involved in a couple of non profits and did some consultancy work pro bono on the side with a NGO, for immigrants.

i think more than nethign they r looking for a cohesive sales pitch, they wanna see your ability having been proven and they wanna see if you can market your story well

thats about all i can think of.

• 3 weeks later...

Congtats RupStar ! Did you apply to Kellogg also?

I am going to apply this summer to Kellogg and Univ of Chicago

My stats are GMAT 670 88 percentile (47q 82 percentile 34v 72 percentile)

3.05 overall GPA (3.17 uppper division) Mechanical Engineering UCLA

4.5 years experience at Accenture

What do you think my chances are for Univ of Chicago and Kellogg

http://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/admissions/fastfacts.aspx#classprofile

Class Profile

The statistics for students who are entering the Full-Time MBA program in September 2005:

• Total Enrolled: 550
  • Male: 71%
  • Female: 29%
  • Minority Students of U.S. Origin: 25%
  • U.S. Citizens: 60%
  • U.S. Permanent Residents: 7%
  • International Students: 33%
  • Average Full-time Work Experience: 5 years
  • Average Age: 28
  • Countries Represented: 42
  • Average GMAT: 701 (80% of the class scored between 640-760)
  • Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.5/4.0 (80% of the class has an undergraduate GPA between 3.0 - 3.9)
  • Undergraduate Major:
    • Liberal Arts and all others: 38%
    • Finance/Business Administration: 22%
    • Economics: 21%
    • Engineering: 19%

No where you can actually find selectivity stats for Chicago, law; the OP is right!

n/a people applied to the full-time MBA program in 2005. The school accepted n/a% (selectivity) of those applicants, and n/a% of admitted applicants (yield) enrolled in the program.

Selectivity/Yield - Historical Chart

2005 n/a - n/a

2004 n/a - n/a

2003 n/a - n/a

2002 15% - 67%

2001 28% - 60%

Selectivity n/a of applicants had applied in prior years, and of those reapplicants n/a were accepted.

The B-school placed n/a applicant(s) on its wait list. n/a wait-listed applicants were admitted to the semester for which they applied.

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/05/full_time_profiles/chicago.htm

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry to respond late but here is my info

GMAT: 720 awa 6.0

GPA 3.7

BS Economics (Mindor: Statistics , Concentration: Finance)

well my situation is that the amount of "time based" WE is low- 2 yrs, but i have been involved in a couple of non profits and did some consultancy work pro bono on the side with a NGO, for immigrants.

i think more than nethign they r looking for a cohesive sales pitch, they wanna see your ability having been proven and they wanna see if you can market your story well

thats about all i can think of.

You have a great GPA and GMAT score, I am not surprised you were admitted by Chicago; you can get into every B-school in the country, in fact!

• 1 month later...

The number I posted is based on observation rather than real data. First, look at the actual fluctuation of acceptance rate for different schools from 2001 to 2005. Using Businessweek and USNews data set.

Then look at the statistical data from admissions411 to get a general sense of the acceptance rate of all top bschool and compare it to the actual data. You then draw your own conclusion from there.

http://www.admissions411.com/

All top schools' sample size are large enough to warrant this extrapolation and seems to approach the actual selectivity number of HSW, Col, K, MIT of last year published dataset. And no, I am not planning to do a regression to test this out.

My conclusion is that Chi is between 30-40% but you can draw your own conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...
Harvard, Stanford, MIT Sloan, Kellogg and Wharton stand out consistently amongst their peers. Two other notable programs are Chicago and Columbia. The reason that the latter are generally considered just below the other 5 is because they carry somewhat less prestige. Columbia used to have a 46% acceptance rate 10 years ago, far higher than any other top school. Meanwhile, Chicago consistently has a much higher acceptance rate than any other top school (above 25-30%) and through much of the last 10 years maintained a 50% yield -- in other words, nearly half of the people offered admission to Chicago choose not to attend. This may have also to do with the fact that Chicago's campus is at the largely black populated South Side of the city which has a high crime rate.

n/a people applied to the full-time MBA program in 2005. The school accepted n/a% (selectivity) of those applicants, and n/a% of admitted applicants (yield) enrolled in the program.

2005 n/a - n/a

2004 n/a - n/a

2003 n/a - n/a

2002 15% - 67%

2001 28% - 60%

Selectivity n/a of applicants had applied in prior years, and of those reapplicants n/a were accepted.

The B-school placed n/a applicant(s) on its wait list. n/a wait-listed applicants were admitted to the semester for which they applied.

You've got to love Chicago's "stats" for the part-time program as well ;)

GMAT Scores - Historical Chart

20052004200320022001Averagen/an/an/an/an/aMediann/an/an/an/an/aRange (middle 80%)n/an/an/an/an/a

TOEFL Scores

TOEFL scores are required for applicants whose native language is not English.

Average TOEFL score *n/aMinimum TOEFL score required *n/a* Paper-based equivalent

Work Experience (months)

Average62Mediann/aRange (middle 80%)n/a-n/aNew entrants with one year or less work experiencen/a

Student Age (years)

Average29Mediann/aRange (middle 80%)n/a-n/a

Salary

Average base salary of entering studentsn/aMedian base salary of entering studentsn/aRange (middle 80%)n/a-n/a

Entering students employed in the following function areas:

Consultingn/aFinance/Accountingn/aGeneral Managementn/aHuman resourcesn/aMarketing/Salesn/aManagement Information Systemsn/aOperations/Logisticsn/aOthern/a

Entering students employed in the following industries:

Governmentn/aManufacturingn/aNon-Profitn/aServicesn/aOthern/a

TOP CORPORATE CUSTOMERS

Organizations that send the most participants to the part-time MBA program:

OrganizationNo.1. Motorolan/a2. JPMorganChasen/a3. Abbott Laboratoriesn/a

20052004200320022001Selectivityn/an/an/an/an/aYieldn/an/an/an/an/a

COSTS:

Estimated TOTAL (not annual) cost of part-time MBA program (U.S. dollars)

Program Cost - Historical Chart

20052004200320022001Resident$77,800n/an/an/a$61,000Nonresident$77,800n/an/an/a$61,000

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/05/part_time_profiles/chicago.htm

Chicago also values diversity. In fact, Chicago's is the most flexible program of its kind in that it attracts students who work in a wide range of non-business, non-profit and military professions. These non-traditional applicants have studied medicine, law, liberal arts, engineering and other fields outside the business world.

At Chicago they do not have any minimum work experience requirements, and encourage candidates to apply when the latter have determined the time is right. Successful early career applicants usually demonstrate a high potential for leadership, academic preparedness, community involvement, self-awareness and are able to explain why now is the right time to do an MBA.

• 3 months later...

This may have also to do with the fact that Chicago's campus is at the largely black populated South Side of the city which has a high crime rate.

Indeed, applicants often voice their concerns about the safety at and around the campus in Hyde Park. It is usually women and international applicants that voice the most concerns. But the dangerous environment is a misconception. Chicago is a metropolitan area and, as with all cities, one should exercise good judgement in safety. Hyde Park is the 6th safest district in Chicago and there are 26 districts. This is just not a campus where there is any kind of warfare or anything like that going on. When students get there they realize that.

Chicago is a down home atmosphere that has a family orientation. Within the university, many of the faculty members live in Hyde Park. They are readily walking around with their loved ones, they host parties. Many students come with spouses and in some cases with children.

Some people also argue that due to Chicago's geographic location, UC is at a disadvantage when it comes to Wall Street recruitment. Columbia, for example is right there in New York.