Urch Forums

GMATbong - Please evaluate my chances in for INSEAD, IMD, ESADE and LBS

krismucs

Hi,

I need your expert advice as I am trying to figure out what are my chances and where to apply.

Following are the details of my profile

- age 29, male

- 6 yrs Work Ex (worked with Infosys n CSC)

- 1.5 yrs in US, 3 months in germany.

- GPA - poor (around 3) but my class average was not that high.

- Gmat 750 (q50,v40) AWA awaited.

- Extra curriculars

- I was university chess champion. I was in college cricket team and then in Infy corporate cricket team, I do have a few sports certificates and was always involved in sports since school.

- I was part of humanitarian help branch of Infy.

- In short, I do belong to the Indian Techie male category which is very competitive as you have explained multiple times in the forum.

Please let me know what are my chances in the one yr program in european business schools.

Also I may be interested in 2yr program in US if I get into top 10 schools, but I am not very confident of getting into top 10 in US with my GPA. I would like to know if there is any chance in top 10 US schools.

Your GPA is fine since most school know what is the GPA of your school on average, which school does matter, however. Do not convert GPA.

Chess Champion does sound a little too geeky, however.

You should have a shot in INSEAD (50/50) and other but not so with LBS.

Top 5 in US is iffy (esp HSW) but top 5-10 you have some chances.

Thanks for your response GMATbong, I also have a follow up questions for you..

Does Columbia, Tuck and NYU(stern) come in top 5-10 schools in US. I have seen conflicting rankings.. those are the ones I am interested in..

I agree chess champion sounds too geeky, besides I have given up on chess for years now.

by the way.. my career progression has been good... I hope a good GMAT score with career progression helps to compensate for lack of GPAs..

I dont have the wow factor for top 5, so I will settle with 5-10..

My question is about columbia's early decision option, does it help to apply in the early decision program.. coz I will know the decision for INSEAD and IMD and others by october. But ideally I would like to wait for decision from columbia before accepting admission from either of these.

should I apply in the early decision program?

Columbia is consider M7 and generally consider top 5

Tuck is a top 10

NYU is top 10 or top 15

Top 5 or M7 are actually 7 schools - HSW/Col/Chi/MIT/Kellogg

Top 3 are HSW and anyone of them can claim #1 in some ranking guide book.

I think you need some extraCurr to back you up. career progression at big IT consultant firm is ok but still consider a step lower than accounting firm. (This is due to its easier for accountants to find finance jobs which boast up the job yield/salaries at career office)

yes. It helps A LOT to apply columbia ED but doesn't mean its easy. The Col. ED is a scam for mostly yield management, every MBA schools hated them. I wish they will drop the practice like most ivy UG schools did last year.