Urch Forums

CVS or Walgreens?

ninah

Hi guys

I have offers from both CVS and Walgreens for an intern position.The rate of pay is very similar,but I am not sure whic one to accept.

For those of you who have worked for the above companies,can you please share your experinces?

;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my congratulations are in order. It is actually a big step forward to have two strong chains offering you internship positions.Based on what I have heard from my friends who have been working in both chains for close to ten years I would advice that you go for Walgreens.I would be very glad if you can give me an idea of how to get into any of these two chains because I have been trying for close to two months to no avail. I wish you all the best in the pursuit of your career.By the way, have you sat for Naplex and mpje already?

They are just similar. All retail chains are similar. Forum posters' responses are relative to their own experiences. What you should put into consideration is the offer, the benefits, the whole contract, etc. The most important of it all are the people you are going to work with. I assume you've talked with the managers? Compare them and analyze their personalities. Which is a better manager? How did they talk to you? Which one is less likely the power tripper? Or maybe the one who would likely empower you to become a manager yourself one day? Lastly, try to visit the stores they were offering you to do your internship and the store where they plan on assigning you when you become licensed. Try to look at the staff and exchange hi and hellos with them. Trust me, people matter and not the company in this case. You can do all of these by asking a deadline on their offers. Remember, you don't want to keep them hanging too. Good Luck and congratulations.

Hi Nina,

Congrats for getting call from both chain's.:tup:

Can you tell me how long it takes to transfer your TOEFL score to NABP and then how long it takes to receive the certificate from NABP? I am in the process and would like to know how long we have to wait for it?

Thanks.

Root:idea:

Hi Nina,

Congrats for getting call from both chain's.:tup:

Can you tell me how long it takes to transfer your TOEFL score to NABP and then how long it takes to receive the certificate from NABP? I am in the process and would like to know how long we have to wait for it?

Thanks.

Root:idea:

Hi! Usually, it takes about 3 months to get the certificate. I passed FPGEE last Dec and got certificate in Feb. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

hello first of all congratulations I would suggest you to go with walgreens unless If you think Cvs has anything better to offer than walgreens....

I don't know anything about cvs but I can share what I know about walgreens good work culture ...based on my experience. good luck

Susan2007

To tell you the truth I found IBT very easy,I have lived in UK for 18 years,ever since I was little so my speaking and writing are good I guess.But I would recommend Barron's book if you are preparing.

Best of luck

Hi I am wondering about the contract that they offered, how many years is it for?

Your answer will really be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Dear Ninah,

your posts have been very helpful as I just passed FPGEE and am currently looking for an internship position. I needed to get an idea of how much interns get paid an hour and I am thrilled at the prospect of making 27 dollars an hour. You just made my day :)

Basically I would like to know which state you are in as I would imagine that you get paid differently in different states.

I see that you are choosing between two great chains. If I was in your situation I would probably ask for the resume of the pharmacist who is going to be supervising you during internship. I think the more qualified and skillfull he is, the better he/she will be at mentoring you. Just an idea.

Hi y'all,

Congratulations too, ninah!

I just came from a CVS interview. Yeah, it was nice. Nothing formal (although I was advised and so, had to wear a suit). Anyway, offer was $24.8/hour. Will still meet with Walgreens in 2 weeks.

Question to anyone who might know though... offers are in CA, but I would want to practice in Texas (my boyfriend is in TX). Anyone knows a company in Texas sponsoring intern pharmacists?

In the name of luuuv :p, help, please!!!!

Hi APha,

Congrats on your results and also for the fact that you got interview calls.

Just wanted some advice from you-I'm in CA, visited my local pharmacies and got DM #. Gave them calls and left messages-do you think they'll call back.

How did you approach them?

Please help.

Thank you.

Do your internship with Walgreens...but don't take an offer after graduation. Go w/ Walmart's Pharmacy...a better deal. 4-10 hr days and 3 days off! A very good friend of mine was Walgreens Pharmacy Mgr and she left. She was an emerging pharmacy leader to boot...she was on track to become a walgreens district pharmacy supervisor. She is now a RPh w/ Walmart and says its the best choice that she made in her life and is happier. Use Walgreens for you internship and leave after that...looks good on a resume and Intercom Plus is an excellent system to learn from.