Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for PhD in Finance in Fall 2013

Guest Guest

Dear all,

I need some help in shortlisting schools for PhD in Finance for Fall 2013. I am planning to apply to 15 schools, and hope to maximise my chances.

My background is as follows:

B.Tech: NIT Warangal - Electrical and Electronics - 8.79/10.00 (When converted to US GPA system, it is about 3.87/4.00). (4.0/4.0 in Math related subjects)

PGDM (MBA): IIM Bangalore - Finance and Economics - 2.56/4.00 (Good scores in Stats and Econ., Medium scores in Finance)

Work exp: 17 months at ICICI Bank in Corporate Banking role.

Other: CT7 of IAI cleared, Decent ranks in Math/Science Olympiads

Research: Two unpublished research papers, as part of academic requirement at IIM

GRE: V-160, Q-170, AWA-3.5

TOEFL: Shall be appearing in last week of Nov.

I have talked to professors from NIT and IIM and shall be able to procure 3 good LORs, although I wouldn't use the word "strong".

I need your help in coming up with a list of schools (about 15 schools) that maximise my chances of making it.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Incase you need further information for a better analysis, please indicate

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

At IIMB, the GPA is highly dependent on relative position in class and only slightly dependent on absolute performance in the exams. The bell-curve is used to grade students. The above grade is an indication that about 50-60% of the batch fared better than me. I do not know if it is comparable to the American system even though it is a measure capped at 4.0.

One explanation is that given the nature of students selected for IIMB, falling even slightly behind on the steep learning curve can cause such a GPA. I did try to catch up; trouble was by the time I caught up, it was time to graduate.

I request you to kindly provide a list of 4-5 schools where the chances are, in your opinion, good (a conversion rate of about 40% i.e.atleast 2 out of 5 applications is likely)