Urch Forums

Illinois intern and hours?

thaierah143

Hi anyone here recently started interning or did their intern in illinois? I would like to know do they want us to send the papers to ECE or to the illinois Board of Pharm? I already did the ECE though..And before applying for internship do I have to get the pharmacist tech license thru their website? how many hours is it for illinois? thank you

You sound a little lost here. It would be better if you mention your purpose. Are you saying that you want to be a pharmacist or a pharmacy technician in IL? Are you a foreign pharmacy graduate?? I bet you are. If so, go to NABP Home - National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®). You will need to clear FPGEE exam and TOEFL in order to get FPGEC. This should take a while. Then worry about the internship later once you pass all those test.

I'm not sure if this help, but good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thaierah143

State of Illinois does not have intern license, so to work in the pharmacy you have to be license as pharm tech. Send application to the board for pharmacy tech license ( if I am not mistaken 30$ for application ). Then, complete application for pharmacy license as foreign grad.

State of Illinois - Pharmacy Licensure Applications

http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/apply/forms/ph-ex-o.pdf

And don't hesitate to write them if you have more questions, usually they will answer you in 1-3 days. I've tried to call them but with no luck what so ever, e-mails work great.

Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation Division of Professional Regulation

Good luck

Hi Duna thank you so much. I want to send the pharm tech application with the Examination application (so they may review my college) but do you have any idea if I have to send the highschool diploma for the pharm tech application? I mean it asks for it if you are student pharmacist at a registered school, but I dont know if I shoudl do that since after all I am sending my College transcripts with the examination review application. And should I wait until I get my FPGEC in the mail and send them altogether or just send the applications now and then forward them my FPGEC later. I hope anyone who dealt with them can help me.

Hi,thaierah143.

When I applied for pharm tech license I definitely didn't send them my high school diploma, because I graduated from the university back in my country (I submitted just university transcript with translation, at that time it was prove that I have high school diploma) and in your case your collage transcript would be enough. I think it doesn't have to be closed envelop from your college ( as we did for NABP).

I would get pharm tech license ASAP and will start to look for a job it's not a very easy task right now, even to find a decent pharm tech position,then send them everything else.

Nadya

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this one will help:

1. Secure an application packet as a pharmacist in State of Illinois | Department of Financial and Professional Regulation for graduates outside of US;

2. Accomplish the said form and mail it to them with the accompanying application fee of $75 and

original university transcript of records;

3. They will mail the internship guidelines after approximately a week;

4. If you found a hospital or a pharmacy where you can do your internship, apply for a pharmacy

technician license which you can do online through the State of Illinois | Department of Financial and Professional Regulation

5. The institution which you will be doing internship is once again subject to evaluation by the state

board and only after the approval you can finally commence your internship.

:):):)

Edited by wasleys
Corrected link

hi bucky thank you for your response. I sent my phamr tech application along with the application package as pharmacist in Illinois with the $75. what do I write in the line that states profession code and title? because I left that blank and they sent that one application blank.

hi bucky thank you for your response. I sent my phamr tech application along with the application package as pharmacist in Illinois with the $75. what do I write in the line that states profession code and title? because I left that blank and they sent that one application blank.

The code is provided in the first page along with the instructions. I wrote down Registered Pharmacist as the Profession name and the numbers 051 under the Profession Code.

Hi everyone!!!

I passed FPGEE and am waiting to take TOEFL test soon. From the post, I have some questions regarding the pharm tech license. Everyone who is foreign graduate and wants to become pharmacist in IL needs to get this pharm tech license in order to practice the intern, correct??? If so, as mentioned in the thread above(by buckyballs), you can apply for the license online??? I couldn't find the page to do so. I found the package though saying that we have to submit documents with $40 fee. Are the two the same thing? I'm thinking of getting the pharm tech license now in case I don't pass TOEFL, I can look for a pharm tech job while waiting for TOEFL to be clear. I don't want to be out of work for too long especially with this economic.

thank you guys. I sent the pharm tech license with my transcripts and the application for examination as well. Yes that is the code I used hoping it was the correct one thank you so much. Illinois doesnt require the FPGEC to start internship right? because I am waiting for my FPGEC to come in the mail they are backed up due to all the holidays.

Yes that is correct you don't need to be Certified before you can start internship in Illinois. You only need to have the FPGEC when you will be taking the NAPLEX.

Yes it is the same Pharmacy Technician Application. The link however for the Pharmacy Technician online application is right at the top Pharmacy page in underlined blue letters. It's hard to miss it. I got my temporary license after just a few minutes and got the actual license through mail two days after.

Hi everyone,

I cleard my TOEFL-ibt last November, but didn't recieve my FPGEC certificate yet. And after reading all your posts, I'm getting a little bit confused, some people say that we need the certificate to apply and here I read that we don't !! Are you sure about that?

Read this post http://www.www.urch.com/forums/pharmacy-forum/85137-illinois-pharmacy-license-requirements-10.html

I Just want to make sure that we have the correct information before we apply.

Thank you.

Edited by fpgee07

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello all,

I have finished my FPGEE exam last year. I havent take the TOEFL exam yet. I've read in several posts here that in Illinois i can start doing my Internship without finishing TOEFL. Is that true. I emailed the board their reply is not very clear. They mentioned that i need to have FPGEC and 1200 Internship etc to sit for NAPLEX etc. I understand that Illinois doesnt have any pharmacy internship license and i need to get Pharmacy Technician license. I also need to get some kind of approval from the board to allow me to start my internship.

Can someone guide me to site that has this application to get approval for Internship. Anyone here started doing internship before taking TOEFL exam.

Thanks

Before you can proceed with your internship you need to submit a letter to the IDFPR - Board of Pharmacy. Address the letter to the liaison officer of the board. This letter should contain:

1. where you will be doing your internship (e.g., name of the hospital or name of the community pharmacy) , if possible write down the address

2. the name of your Pharmacist preceptor

3. the Pharmacist preceptor license number will be helpful

4. also attach an actual letter signed by the Pharmacist-Preceptor herself endorsing you that he/she will be training you

5. lastly, attach an outline of instructions for the duration of the internship ( the Pharmacist-Preceptor should be able to provide you with this)

Take note that the approval of the board will take time. So be patient and use the waiting time to practice for your TOEFL.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have passed the FPGEE and Got the required scores in Toefl exam and got the FPGEC certificate. I am about to apply for the Internship License exam in illinois. Anyone here has done this in the past.

I have a 4 year degree From India. Since i graduated before the rules changed i was eligible to sit for the FPGEE exam. But i heard on this forum that Illinois needs a 5 year degree irrespective of FPGEC certificate. Is that correct.

I need to apply for the approval for Internship in Illinois, anyone here know the steps and procedure to do this.

I have Green Card, anyone here has any luck finding internship opportunities in Chicago area? How many hours internship is required? DO i need to do this internship in a Hospital/retail?

Do i need to do all the hours under the guidance of the same pharmacist? I appreciate your help.

Regards,

• 1 year later...

I am a foreign pharmacist,

I got my FPGEC in 2012, due to some personal issues I couldn't complete the process back then.

Can I know proceed with it after 2 years?

Can you please help me what is my next step in details because I am lost.

I have a potential internship opportunity in Chicago and they need all the details about the document that they are in title of.

Do they need to fill any application? Do I need to submit any document from them to the state board or the NABP?

Excuse me for the lot of questions, I will be really thankful for your help.

Hi,

Your best bet is to go to the website of the state board of pharmacy and see what the requirements are for internship. It varies from state to state. In most states, after FPGEE, you are allowed to do your internship and then do Naplex & Mpje after internship. The state board website should have intern application forms for you to fill stating your name address etc, name & license no of pharmacy you want to do the internship & the name & license number of your would be preceptor. When they get your application and everything is in order you'll be sent a letter/ card designating you as an intern/extended intern and the forms on which to document your hours.. That is my experience with Texas, like I said earlier it varies from one state to another.

Regarding the visa question , I know it's possible to work as a volunteer if one cannot get the required visa that allows you to work . Also some employers used to file for visa for their intern but I'm not sure how that process goes.

Check your state board website, mail them or call them with any questions you have, they are normally willing to clarify what you need to do. I had to call my state board with questions a few times myself & someone always emailed me back or gave me a call back to explain things.

Best wishes

Boeing

I am a foreign pharmacist,

I got my FPGEC in 2012, due to some personal issues I couldn't complete the process back then.

Can I know proceed with it after 2 years?

Can you please help me what is my next step in details because I am lost.

I have a potential internship opportunity in Chicago and they need all the details about the document that they are in title of.

Do they need to fill any application? Do I need to submit any document from them to the state board or the NABP?

Excuse me for the lot of questions, I will be really thankful for your help.