Urch Forums

Extended Internship in Texas - Can I do all 1,500 hrs in one place?

MariaBKK

Hi,

I'm a foreign grad pharmacist and I already passed FPGEE and TOEFL. I'm now waiting for my FPGE Certificate. I already got a pharmacy that I can work at and earn my internship hours.

The question is, can I earn my 1,500 hours in only one pharmacy setting? What is the requirement?

Another question is, in the Internship Instructions, it states that the extended intern registration will be expired if the extended-intern fail NAPLEX or MPJE. I would like to have the clarification that if the failure occur within 6 months after getting FPGEC, will I have a chance to re-take the test and try to pass within 6 months or the extended intern will be expired immediately after the first attemp regardless the period of time?

I tried to call the Texas State Board, it kept transfer me to the voice mail, I also sent them an email and I have not got any reply yet.

Thank you for any help.

• 2 months later...

Hi Maria

You can do the 1500 hours in one pharmacy or more, provided that you will have to register EACH of them to TSBP. However, by TEXAS law, you are only allowed to do a maximum of 50 hours per week as Extended Pharmacist Intern.

Regarding taking NAPLEX and MPJE, both of them should be taken within 3 months when you start your Internship. The grounds of termination of your Extended Pharmacist Intern title is, if you FAIL either NAPLEX or MPJE; 3 months had lapse and you have not taken the exams. You may want to refer to the TSBP website for completeness and accuracy of informations.

I received my FPGEC and after 1 month I took both NAPLEX and MPJE. I have already passed those exams, not because I am smart... but because of God's mercy and grace. Study very well for the NAPLEX. It is difficult for a Foreign Pharmacist to pass that exams unless you are prepared. The approach of the exams is a case scenario. One thing also that helped me with the exams is that I am a Doctor in my country.

Goodluck and stay focus. :)

Hi,

I'm a foreign grad pharmacist and I already passed FPGEE and TOEFL. I'm now waiting for my FPGE Certificate. I already got a pharmacy that I can work at and earn my internship hours.

The question is, can I earn my 1,500 hours in only one pharmacy setting? What is the requirement?

Another question is, in the Internship Instructions, it states that the extended intern registration will be expired if the extended-intern fail NAPLEX or MPJE. I would like to have the clarification that if the failure occur within 6 months after getting FPGEC, will I have a chance to re-take the test and try to pass within 6 months or the extended intern will be expired immediately after the first attemp regardless the period of time?

I tried to call the Texas State Board, it kept transfer me to the voice mail, I also sent them an email and I have not got any reply yet.

Thank you for any help.

hi, like Angeldus said, Texas regulation is that one has to schedule Naplex /MPJE within 6 months of getting your FPGEC and needs to pass the Naplex within 3 months of starting extended internship , if A person fails the exam, then he has to stop internship because the internship as well as the intern licence becomes invalidated . Such a person will have to pass the exams before being allowed to continue internship. So yes you will have chance to do the exam again. NABP allows 5 attempts to pass naplex however there must be a 3 month waiting period before retaking the exam. Hope that clarifies for you the Texas requirement and the NABP requirement. It's the reason why foreign grads in Texas tend to do naplex and MPJE before starting internship. I'm in Texas also- I got my FPGEC in July , took and passed naplex in November and will take MPJE in a few weeks , then I will start searching for a place to do the internship.

Best wishes

may I ask where you get the externship? I am so looking for the internship in north Dallas. please let me know of any possibilities. Thanks

To: drpegah4

What I did was took the PTCB Cert for Phar Tech and worked as Pharmacist Technician in one of the biggest Pharmacy Chain. I worked really hard.. follow manager, no complains, no lates, no absents for 1 year. When I passed my FPGEC, I spoke to my Manager and told my situation. He just said, passed the NAPLEX and MPJE. Nowadays, it is very hard for a chain to sponsor visa, and this is the major reason why BIG Chains limited hiring FOREIGN GRADS. Fortunately, I am an immigrant and do not need sponsorship. It was easier for the Pharmacy to just change my status from Tech to Ext Pharmacist Intern.

From a Medical Doctor to Phar Tech...No choice but to suck it up. It was a very humble beginning and slowly paying off.

Let me know if you need MPJE reviewer. I read that for 3 days and that's it. MPJE exams was not hard. Especially if you have been working in a community. BUT please READ and UNDERSTAND the Cacciatore/KAPLAN. Read it twice. You're good to go.

I am also in TEXAS.

Amidst of uncertainty, pray for guidance from HIM.

To: MariaBKK

To be honest with you TSBP people are not the easiest people to deal with. If you lived in California, they are not like those people in California who would always be willing to accommodate you and help you. All the instructions are there on the website. If you call them and clarify what has been already at the website, then they will not respond.

But keep trying... I call them everyday. Dont give up.

CONDITIONS OF THE EXTENDED PHARMACIST INTERNSHIP (please note that the black ink were lifted exactly from the website of TSBP for the purpose of easy reference to the corresponding explanations of your question. BLUE ink is my add-ons)

In TEXAS, TSBP allows you to START your EXTENDED INTERNSHIP as long as:

1) there is a PHARMACIST PRECEPTOR registered in TEXAS that will let you work in a PHARMACY and will sign your hours at the end of the period.

2) You were granted the title of Extended Pharmacist Intern by TSBP

* we are lucky because in other state, they need you to COMPLETE the HOURS first before they even allow you to sit on NAPLEX and MPJE.

The designation as an Extended Pharmacist Intern remains in effect (VALID) until the earlier of the following occurs: (OR WILL EXPIRE IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING HAPPENS)

a) Failure of the Extended Pharmacist Intern to take the NAPLEX and the MPJE within three calendar months after graduation or FPGEC certification; or (YOU MUST TAKE THE EXAMS WITHIN 3 MONTHS UPON RECEIVING YOUR FPGEC. e.g July 31 2013 issuance of FPGEE and you have started your Ext Int.. Then you have until Oct 31 2013 to complete the 2 exams if you want your title to be valid)

b) Failure to pass the NAPLEX and MPJE; or ( either of the 2 if you fail the exams, they will immediately SUSPEND your license)

c) When you have not started your EXTENDED INTERNSHIP yet -----> Failure to complete the requirements for licensure within two years after passing the required examination(s). (Basically it is saying here that you are given 2 years to PASS both NAPLEX and MPJE (then you have to retake FPGEE and go through that whole process again.

I hope this helps you Maria. This is the best way I can explain the conditions of Ext Pharmacist Intern.

• 2 months later...
Hi Boeing, For registering for NAPLEX and MPJE, with Texas Board, do we have to have a Intern License first or we can register with FPGEC and SSN, please guide. Thanks

Information for Pharmacists

Hi Pary123,

You only need your FPGEC and SSN to register with Texas state board for the naplex and MPJE, you don't need the intern licence for that. If you click on the link or go to their website and click on pharmacist- registration by examination. It had all the info you need. Basically, you mail your application form and supporting docs to tsbp, obtain your fingerprint session, pay nabp for the naplex and MPJE . Once tsbp get a report on your fingerprint session and it's ok, they'll tell nabp that you're eligible to take the exams and nabp then generated ATT for you . The ATT is good for one year so you can register with Pearson Vue to take the exam anytime within that one year.

hope this answers your question. You can pm me if you want more clarification & I'll be glad to help.

In my case I got ATT about 3-4 weeks after my fingerprint session.

best wishes

• 2 years later...

hi!!

just read your post angeldust

is it possible to still share the mpje reviewer??

if you could, it would be great!

kindly email it at: marriam.azhar@gmail.com

thanks

To: drpegah4

What I did was took the PTCB Cert for Phar Tech and worked as Pharmacist Technician in one of the biggest Pharmacy Chain. I worked really hard.. follow manager, no complains, no lates, no absents for 1 year. When I passed my FPGEC, I spoke to my Manager and told my situation. He just said, passed the NAPLEX and MPJE. Nowadays, it is very hard for a chain to sponsor visa, and this is the major reason why BIG Chains limited hiring FOREIGN GRADS. Fortunately, I am an immigrant and do not need sponsorship. It was easier for the Pharmacy to just change my status from Tech to Ext Pharmacist Intern.

From a Medical Doctor to Phar Tech...No choice but to suck it up. It was a very humble beginning and slowly paying off.

Let me know if you need MPJE reviewer. I read that for 3 days and that's it. MPJE exams was not hard. Especially if you have been working in a community. BUT please READ and UNDERSTAND the Cacciatore/KAPLAN. Read it twice. You're good to go.

I am also in TEXAS.

Amidst of uncertainty, pray for guidance from HIM.

To: MariaBKK

To be honest with you TSBP people are not the easiest people to deal with. If you lived in California, they are not like those people in California who would always be willing to accommodate you and help you. All the instructions are there on the website. If you call them and clarify what has been already at the website, then they will not respond.

But keep trying... I call them everyday. Dont give up.

CONDITIONS OF THE EXTENDED PHARMACIST INTERNSHIP (please note that the black ink were lifted exactly from the website of TSBP for the purpose of easy reference to the corresponding explanations of your question. BLUE ink is my add-ons)

In TEXAS, TSBP allows you to START your EXTENDED INTERNSHIP as long as:

1) there is a PHARMACIST PRECEPTOR registered in TEXAS that will let you work in a PHARMACY and will sign your hours at the end of the period.

2) You were granted the title of Extended Pharmacist Intern by TSBP

* we are lucky because in other state, they need you to COMPLETE the HOURS first before they even allow you to sit on NAPLEX and MPJE.

The designation as an Extended Pharmacist Intern remains in effect (VALID) until the earlier of the following occurs: (OR WILL EXPIRE IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING HAPPENS)

a) Failure of the Extended Pharmacist Intern to take the NAPLEX and the MPJE within three calendar months after graduation or FPGEC certification; or (YOU MUST TAKE THE EXAMS WITHIN 3 MONTHS UPON RECEIVING YOUR FPGEC. e.g July 31 2013 issuance of FPGEE and you have started your Ext Int.. Then you have until Oct 31 2013 to complete the 2 exams if you want your title to be valid)

b) Failure to pass the NAPLEX and MPJE; or ( either of the 2 if you fail the exams, they will immediately SUSPEND your license)

c) When you have not started your EXTENDED INTERNSHIP yet -----> Failure to complete the requirements for licensure within two years after passing the required examination(s). (Basically it is saying here that you are given 2 years to PASS both NAPLEX and MPJE (then you have to retake FPGEE and go through that whole process again.

I hope this helps you Maria. This is the best way I can explain the conditions of Ext Pharmacist Intern.