Urch Forums

Licence to practice Pharmacy for European graduates

helengrig

Hello!

My name is Helen and I am studying Pharmacy in Romania. I've recently discovered some information about Naplex and the tests you can take in order to practice Pharmacy in the U.S. However, I am really confused about what I have to do in order to obtain this licence and I have some questions that I hope some of you could answer. The reason for wanting to have a licence for practicing in the U.S is that I really want to practice there for a few years, see the differences, maybe even try to work in research, because research in my country isn't financed properly and scientist often meet dead ends and can't actually finish their research. Other times they can't even start a research due to lack of funding. Another reason is that I love English and practicing Pharmacy in English would be a dream come true. My questions are:

1. Is Naplex the main test that you have to take in order to have a licence for practicing pharmacy in the U.S.? Are there any other tests?

2. Can I take these tests if I come from Europe? Do you know what do I have to do in order to take them?

3. I suppose I also have to take the TOEFL English exam. Is that correct?

4. Does the licence for practicing in Romania count for anything?

Any information that you can give me regarding my questions could be helpful.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Helen

To be able to practice as pharmacist in the USA you need the following:

1- You should already have a pharmacy degree from your country

2- register for , take, and pass the FPGEE

3- Depending on your FPGEE score you will be required to do between 500 to 1500 hour of pharmacy internship here in the USA

4- Depending on which state you want to practice in you might be required to have a green card of be a US citizen (not all states require this - so you have to check with the board of pharmacy in the state you wish to practice)

5- Once you complete your internship the board of pharmacy will issue you ATT (authorization to test)

6- You register, take, pass the NAPLEX and MPJE

7- Now you are licensed and can practice in the USA

remember that laws always change so make sure to check the documentation on the NABP website

this entire process can be lengthy and can take around 2 years. 1000's of foreign grads have done this.

good luck

passRXnow