Urch Forums

Intern License Requirement

bigskyMT

I am a foreign pharmacy graduate and lives in Montana. Last week I got an internship position in a skilled nursing facility. I submitted my intern application at the MT Board of Pharmacy and has received an email stating :

1. Please provide proof of your completion of the first 30 days of your first professional year.

Can anyone please tell me what exactly is this requirement. I tried calling them and have had left a voice message but I did not get any response back.

Also, I got another paid internship job but the pharmacy manager told me that the maximum days he can give me is - 2 days in a week. While the other one, is a full time but on a volunteer basis. The chief pharmacist and I kinda talk about the possibility of getting paid later but nothing was really sure about anything. So I have to relocate and get an apartment and daycare for my son while having no income. But I can do max 48 hours in a week. While the paid internship of two days in a week would take me two years to complete the 1500 hours. I am torn which one should I choose since we are just right on budget. Will appreciate any thoughts you might have on this one. thank you very much for your time.

Hi there,

I think it's possible you submitted the wrong forms. I'm a foreign grad & just started my internship too. I know it varies from state to state, but in Texas as a foreign grad one would submit the form for "extended intern" application while if one is currently a student in a College, you will submit a student intern application form. That 30 hours they are asking - is a requirement of the student intern application. For extended intern thru would ask for your FPGEC certificate. So maybe go your state board's website to verify you submitted the correct forms & you can give them a call to find out what they need as proof of the 30 hours.

yo take the paid or volunteer position- it's a tough call - would you rather complete the hours quickly or would you prefer getting paid yo offset your childcare expenses. Again if I was you, I would call the state board to ask if I can have 2 preceptors ( in Texas it's allowed- I have two preceptors). If it's possible in your state , you will be able to work 2 days with the paid and 3 days unpaid. So definitely give the board a call.

Good luck.

Edited by Boeing
Additional info added

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Boeing,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. There was only one type of internship form and I think the board is not familiar with foreign graduates here. I called them again and they are willing to accept the transcripts of records in lieu of 30 Days of my 1st professional year. However, I was informed that I have to be called for an interview by the board. I wonder what would they ask me, like state law, clinical experience or some personal questions. It is indeed a long process and journey for us foreign grads.

I cannot take two internship jobs since they are almost 100 miles apart. I am thinking just to take a loan so I can afford to do my internship.

I sent you a PM about the scope of internship responsibilities. Thank you again.

• 7 months later...
So after seven months the board has approved my intern license. I chose the volunteer work that is full time than the 2-day per week paid internship. Two weeks in my volunteer internship my boss has offered to pay my internship. I am very happy and it was an answered prayer for me to find a paid pharmacy internship. I have still a long journey ahead of me, and everyday is a learning experience. I strive to learn the pharmacy operation and dealing with nurses and reducing errors in filling prescriptions. Attention to detail is extremely important in our work. A very good communication skills, listening skills, standing for long hours, and knowledge of the clinical part of pharmacy practice are all very important part of the internship work. Perseverance and patience is the key to our success.