Urch Forums

Pharm D . help needed please

mike2012

Hi I'm a pharmacist and I passed the FPGEE exam . however I'm thinking to apply for any Pharm d program in USA instead of taking the toefl exam because it seems very long way and high score specially the speaking section. Anybody can help me with information , like how many years they will ask me to take? and will they accept my degree which I had it overseas?

I'm really confused and don't know which is better? to take the toefl exam and continue the way???/ or considering to apply for a college here to save the time?

thank you in advance for your help and opinion

Hi, just a quick question...which PharmD program are you looking at that seems to be easier that sitting the TOEFL exam?

First, thank you so much for your reply. I heard that some college evaluate your degree and accept some courses then ask you to take only 2 years ( others ask you to take 3 years) but I don't have enough information about that.

hi, I did some research yesterday, I understood that pharm D is what we used to call B.S, there is no difference. there are some colleges though that offer a pharmacy residency program, it's a 2 years post-graduate program where you rotate through different medical specialities, you graduate as a clinical pharmacist with better job opportunities of course. however, you can't apply for residency as a foreign graduate before obtaining FPGEC, which means there is not way around TOEFL, it's a must. also, you have to be a U.S citizen, with some other prerequisites.

Hi Mike, what qualifications do you have? I know that in order to qualify as a pharmacist in the US with a foreign degree, you must obtain FPGEC which involves sitting the FPGEE. To receive your FPGEC you must also prove that your English is sufficient and to do so you must pass the TOEFL. Once you obtain the FPGEC you are allowed to proceed to state-by-state qualification requirements. Here in NY where I wish to qualify we must complete 2080 intern hours (40 hours a week for 52 weeks) and then sit the state board exams. Also referring to the previous post, I don't think that being a US citizen is a requirement. The issue is however that foreigners have trouble finding an employer for the intern hours as they have to obtain a work visa (an entirely different process) so you have an upper hand if you are a US citizen. I hope this info helps!

• 2 weeks later...
hi, I did some research yesterday, I understood that pharm D is what we used to call B.S, there is no difference. there are some colleges though that offer a pharmacy residency program, it's a 2 years post-graduate program where you rotate through different medical specialities, you graduate as a clinical pharmacist with better job opportunities of course. however, you can't apply for residency as a foreign graduate before obtaining FPGEC, which means there is not way around TOEFL, it's a must. also, you have to be a U.S citizen, with some other prerequisites.

Hi Little Pharos, can you please give some specifics or website so i can look further into this residency programs.

your reply is highly appreciated,

Joy

Hi Little Pharos, can you please give some specifics or website so i can look further into this residency programs.

your reply is highly appreciated

hi Joy,

i am going for residency through the VA in Murfreesboro, TN. So if you wanna know more about it go to Jobs & Careers - Tennessee Valley Healthcare System

But I know for sure that other universities offer this program, such as CA university. Or check if you have any VA hospital close to you, they have it for sure.

Regards

Edited by wasleys
Restored quote format

hi Joy,

i am going for residency through the VA in Murfreesboro, TN. So if you wanna know more about it go to Jobs & Careers - Tennessee Valley Healthcare System

But I know for sure that other universities offer this program, such as CA university. Or check if you have any VA hospital close to you, they have it for sure.

Regards

Thanks Little Pharos, I'm waiting for my FPGEC and I wanted to know what's my options as I have not researched enough for internship options, I have a green card not a citizen yet so the VA thing won't work out for me, I appreciate any insight you can provide me with about the internship options.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
The issue is however that foreigners have trouble finding an employer for the intern hours as they have to obtain a work visa (an entirely different process) so you have an upper hand if you are a US citizen. I hope this info helps!
Hi. Nice input you made here. So nowadays where are foreign grads likely to get hired for internship hours, whether they're US citizens or immigrants?