Urch Forums

Advice for Foreign Graduate

saadfozi

Hi everyone, I'm in quite the situation and would like some advice from anyone with similar experience. I'm an American citizen who travelled to the UK to study pharmacy over the last four years (MPharm). I obtained a degree and am set to start work in a UK hospital so that I can sit and hopefully pass the registration exam. I do plan on coming back to the US after qualifying in the UK and the only reason why I want to qualify there is because I understand I must do so to be able to practice pharmacy in America. I have a few questions...firstly will my hours in the UK hospital count as intern hours in NYS (New York State), is there an alternative to having to sit the FPGEE exam such as further studies to convert my degree to a PharmD, do all foreign graduates go through the route of the FPGEC or is there an alternative route? Finally, I hear that one of the hardest parts about this entire process is obtaining an internship...can any private community pharmacy offer an internship or are there certified pharmacies throughout the state that a person must go through? I understand that many of the pharmacies do not pay interns, but I am fortunate enough to have my family supporting me throughout this process so salary is not an issue. Thank you all in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
I am almost 100% sure that you will have to take FPGEE. But being a US citizien will be very easy for you to find an internship. It took me two weeks and i have a green card but i dont live in a superpopulated state. So if you dont find in NY you do it somewhere else and then transfer your license.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am also an American citizen who studied abroad. I just graduated this month and I am going through the process or returning to the US. It is a long and seemingly never ending road. First, you must be licensed in the country where you studied, you must take the FPGEE, TOEFL (even as a native speaker), and finally the NAPLEX, law exam and whatever else the state you are applying for requires.... You have to complete the 1500 intern hours in the US under a certified preceptor. In a lot of states you cannot obtain an intern license until you pass the FPGEE, I know TN is an exception. I hope this helps :o)

• 1 month later...

All answers provide above are correct. You need to be licensed in UK, you need to pass FPGEE , TOEFL,..... then you need to complete up to 1500 hours in internship in the USA then sit for NAPLEX and MPJE. this process will take you at least 2 years if everything lines up correctly for you. the average is about 2 or 3 years. Finding internship paid/unpaid will be easy simply go from one pharmacy to another asking them. You being a US citizen will make it easier for you to find an internship

good luck

passRXnow.com support

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice! Well yea I'm actually coming to the end of my registration year here in the UK. I was hoping someone could clarify... I have a Masters in Pharmacy; according to the NABP

"If you graduated from an accredited school of pharmacy on or after January 1, 2003, you must have completed at least a five-year pharmacy curriculum. For example, a five-year BSc in pharmacy, a five-year BPharm, or a five or six-year PharmD."

Does this mean that I will have to convert my Masters into a doctorate? Seeing that they accept the BPharm I thought the MPharm would be accepted too?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I too graduated from the UK, I tried my luck with the Pharmacy board in NY but was rejected as they are very strict on the 5 year curriculum.

My advice would be to try and apply, if the reject it you can get some of your application money back, second try to apply in NJ, third, upgrade to a Pharm D but this is a more expensive route.

Good luck

Hi, I too graduated from the UK, I tried my luck with the Pharmacy board in NY but was rejected as they are very strict on the 5 year curriculum.

My advice would be to try and apply, if the reject it you can get some of your application money back, second try to apply in NJ, third, upgrade to a Pharm D but this is a more expensive route.

Good luck

Ah that's really annoying! I didn't receive your PM but yea any advice would be appreciated. How would you upgrade to a PharmD? I haven't come across any NYS universities that offer that option.