Urch Forums

Pre-Pharmacy Struggle (more or less a question about study habits)

amaracheee

Hi everyone!

This is my third year of pharmacy pre reqs in college and I've been feeling pretty burnt out, although I'm not even sure that's the way to describe things. In the beginning of the term (my school's on a quarter system) I was ready and excited to finally move into more upper level work, because last year I took Org Chem (upper div) and loved it everything else has been General Chem, Principles of Bio, Intro to Stats, etc... until this year. I'm able to dive into all upper division courses, because they're all I have left and I'm stuck with Microbiology, Cell & Molec, and Anatomy & Physiology in the science department.

Like I said in the beginning I was pumped. I also geared myself up for the fact that I'm admittedly a chemistry person and not exactly a bio fan - so I knew I'd need to put in more work for better grades. However here I am week 10, the week before finals and I'm gasping for air in all 3 classes (meaning a C would do at this point) I think part of it is my fault for taking on such a load because, as I'm realizing now, even though all together I have 12 credits these aren't small classes.

Anyway I feel like I'm retreating back to my old habits of not studying and expecting great outcomes. This is something that has worked for me up until Organic Chemistry and Calculus. Those classes pushed me to become a person who actually studies and spends a lot of time in the library I was proud of that. However, today as I'm typing this it's like all of the hard work is unraveling.

Now I'm finding any and every excuse to avoid studying, avoid the trek to the library, I even catch myself blocking out lectures. I would physically be there because I know I need to be, but I've gone from actually listening/processing the information to simply just hearing/only getting it in the moment and that doesn't help for exams.

This has never happened to me before but I'm noticing it a lot now.

Am I having some sort of mental shut down? Is this my brain telling me it's had enough? Has anyone ever experienced this before? I'd love to read your responses. Also, how did you overcome? Did you let yourself quit?

I see it kind of as my head noticing a challenge and not liking said challenge therefore throwing a fit and trying to get me to give up...

You know if I were to compare my mind to a stubborn child...

But how do I push through, successfully?

BTW: If your first thought is to ask, "are you sure you want to be a pharmacist" - I honestly believe with all my heart I do. I've worked in a pharmacy and I can't think of being anything/anywhere else professionally I can't wait to be able to do some of the things in there that I can't do right now because I don't have the Pharm D + license combination.

I even have this saying where "I only know how much I want to be a pharmacist when I'm in a pharmacy working. It's at school, where I'm preparing my way to be a pharmacist, when I start exploring other options in my head."

Let me quit rambling and actually post this thing.

Thanks you guys.

• 1 month later...

Hey! I hope this message gets to you, since the thread started awhile ago.

We all get into those moments when we're stuck. It happens, and if someone told you it never happened to them - well unless they're a robot, it will happen to them and it's just a matter of time.

Studying is all about motivation and sometimes it's hard to maintain that motivation and focus when there are many stress factors. What you need to know is, that what you're doing now is not indicative of how you will be in the outside world. Some of the worst students in school are the best pharmacists in practice.

Have you considered new studying habits? How about group studying, or tutoring? You need to try new ways of studying. When we get older, it's difficult to just sit in class and absorb the material. Passive learning is for younger children, when they just absorb by listening or watching. As grown ups, we have to find other means of learning. I remember using color pencils and drawing every orgo chem reaction with it. That was how I managed through that class. I even bought clay and started making models.

How about reciting your notes? If you speak your notes out loud, it helps you process the information too. Often times when you write it over and over again, you see it on paper but it's not really realized in your mind. Make the words real by speaking it.

You are having a mental fatigue moment, it's not a shut down unless you give up. So, don't give up and keep on trying!