Urch Forums

Australian Pharmacist lookig to move to USA - NEED HELP

Teja Dhillon

Hello

I am currently registered Pharmacist in Australia. I have 2 year Masters in Pharmacy from University of Sydney and 3 year Bachelor of Medical Science from University of Sydney. I have been registered Pharmacy since 2010. I am looking to move to USA with my Husband and want to know what does involves in becoming licensed pharmacist in USA.

I inquired little bit from NABP (National Board of Pharmacy, USA) and they are not much help at all and telling me the same thing that is on their Website.

From my understanding, I do need to undertake one test (FGPEC) and intern hours? Then I think test from a state board e.g. Texas. But exactly not sure about the procedure. Also, I read USA requires 5 year academic study in Pharmacy but I have 2 year Pharmacy Masters and 3 year Medical science. Not sure if I qualify.

A pharmacist from USA currently in Aus told me that I only need to do one National Test and then state test where I want to practice. They also advised that I do not need to do intern hours only a months worth if I have 5 or more years experience.

Can someone please help if they know much?

Thanks

Tj

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

The procedure is clear in the FPGEC bulletin pdf file, from this link http://www.nabp.net/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/988/original/fpgec-application-bulletin-060415.pdf. They update it from time to time, and you should always consult the latest version from the link.

States differ in their requirements, but they all require you to have the FPGEC certificate,( FPGEE exam and TOEFL IBT together), at least Texas does, per this PDF file , from their website http://www.pharmacy.texas.gov/files_pdf/FORGRAD.pdf

As for your eligibility regarding your degree, it is determined by ECE. Their report will tell you if your degree is equivalent to a US bachelor of pharmacy or not., which will determine whether you can apply for the FPGEE exam or not. Review the first file above, page 8 for details.

Long story short, send your documents to ECE , and if equivalent, then to NABP. Pass the FPGEE and TOEFL IBT to get the FPGEC. Internship requirements differ from state to another in terms of number of hours and when you can start. In few states, you can start before passing the TOEFL IBT, in others, you have to get the FPGEC first. Steps following the FPGEE exam differ greatly between states. Most of them require you to have the FPGEC, finish internship hours, pass the NAPLEX test of this state or transfer the passing score from another state's NAPLEX, pass a state specific law exam and then apply for licensure as a pharmacist. ( IN THAT ORDER for most of them)

Here is a link to all the official websites of the boards of pharmacy from the NABP website Boards - National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®)

Hopefully this answered your question.

Edited by dr sun
missing words