Urch Forums

pay scale, overtime for interns and pharmacists

pharmacist2005

hi friends

I was discussing with some friends in this forum about benefits and pay scale of Pharmacist intern and pharmacists. Since we will start working soon i just wanted to have some insight into the pay scale issues.

One of my friend in florida is a registered pharmacist with CVS and she told me that CVS pharmacy doesn't prefer to give overtime to pharmacy interns as they have to pay 1.5 times the usual rate so they hire part time internsfill in for the extra hours and for registered pharmacist they pay normal rate +6 $/hour. I would like to find out if this is true for other chains as well like rite aid, walgreens, longs, albertons/supervalue?

I was doing some research on this issue and i came across these facts:

1) once you reach 100k salary the law by dept. of labor is as follows:

"At the other end of the wage scale, the regulations redefine "highly compensated" employees ineligible for overtime as those making at least $100,000 annually, an increase from $65,000." source - http://www.nsba.org/site/doc_cosa.asp?TRACKID=&DID=33624&CID=445:

2) california dept of industrial relations - check website: http://www.workitout.ca.gov/default.asp?id=137 under exeption from the overtime law:

which classifies certain professionals like us in medicine, law etc whose overtime is calculated differently than the usual way of 1.5 times.

can someone who is already working as a pharmacist in different chains please give us some insight about the overtime pay and pay scale in general. you don't have to reveal your salary...just give us a range..

It will greatly help most of us to make some decisions.

thanks

hi there,

well good to kow that u are about to start ur internship well actually i am not sure about cvs policy in florida but overall any company that u work for as a registered pharmacist and if u work overtime then they normally pay u 1.5 times the base pay just for ur information its othign to do with cvs or walgreens its the federal labor law

good luck

thanks shrekfiona and ramalla76 for your inputs. lets see what other chain employees have to see apart from walgreens.

i went through the department of labor site http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm which shows that california state has that 1.5 times rate for overtime. so i guess you must be talking about california. It doesn't apply to florida and some other states i guess.

i also read an article in pharmacy times - http://www.pharmacytimes.com/Article.cfm?Menu=1&ID=3405

and some more where it has been mentioned that the law has changed now and employers can classify pharmacists earning more than 65,000 $ annually as exempt from the different pay rate for overtime.

well i am searching for more official sources to confirm that. so long as it doesn't effect california i am happy since i want to be in california:).

guys i appreciate ur inputs and would like some more from people working in other chains.

Hi Phamracist 2005 and all in this forum,

I think it is a very good issue or topic because obviously we need to know what is the pay scale for interns and over time intern, pharmacists, over time pharmacists etc.

I heard that walgreens pay 36.5 $ for interns and 52$ for pharmacists( these are not so exact figures) and i don't know whether they hire or pay for over time or not.

Rite aid 25$ and over time is 37.5 (one and half time of the intern pay)

CVS pharmacist salary is 52 (not exact figure again) and i don't know the intern salary please some one help me how much they pay for intern, will they pay for over time or will they hire over time?

walmart pays interns 2/3 of the pharmacists salary.

Krogers i don't know how much they pay etc etc

I heard that target, eckerds also good to work with but i am not sure.

please i need some info about these pay scales too. Also i think it will be helpful for the people to work in the future also for the people who want to move or not satisfied in that place etc etc. All inputs regarding this matter are highly appreciated.

Thanks

hi sbrz5,

well do not panic well a general rule of thumb as i mentioned earlier is if u work overtime no matter whether its phamracy or software u ought to get paid 1.5 times ur pay its the law so do not panic and a couple of companies might pay i a little more depending on the demand that they have for u so overall its the same of 1.5- 2 times(many times)of ur basic pay

enjoy

i believe some of you guys think that everybody gets paid to a extent of 1.5 to 2 times when put on extra hours...but according to law its not true...the DOL in conjuction with immigration authority has a rule that if your pay exceeds 80000 there is no specific rule that you should be paid extra(there is a rule but no need or should)...also if they pay extra, your loss due to extra taxes wont make those extra money worthy...also there is no stringent rule you should be paid extra as you are temporary worker and here in US for only specific period of time unless u have a green card...what i am saying in short is acc to my experience it depends on the company but not the rule coz i didnt get paid any extra for the past 6 months...

hi there,

well i guess u ar ewrong imaterial of ur immigration status esp in pharmacy retail u do get paid 1.5 times for ur overtime (as a pharmacist) and i u are not getting paid then u either need to let the hr dept of ur company know and make sure that they compensate u i am not sure if u are an intern how it would work beacuse as interns we have dif contracts and terms an dconditions with diff companies so

also make sure u double check the state law too

i hope it helps u

good luck

• 1 month later...