Urch Forums

Attention please! Please use proper English when posting

knok

Hi members,

It has been a while that this forum has been started. We are in an academic forum. Your messages are valuable assets to others. They are not deleted when you shut down your computer as you do in a chat room.

We need your cooperation.

Please read:

1. Plese use proper English.

You would like to reduce your time. Readers may have to spend more time trying to understand your English.

Example:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/toefl-grammar/67374-i-wanna-develop-error-free-english.html

2 Please make testmagic an abbreviation free zone.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/lounge/28655-make-tm-abbreviation-free-zone.html

3. Have dictionary gone out of fashion?

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/lounge/47758-have-dictionaries-gone-out-fashion.html

I can't imagine if a foreign pharmacist uses a lot of abbreviations to his/her co-workers, doctors, patients, or starts a sentence without a capital letter. I believe that they will be insulted by their American co-workers. Therefore, please try to develop your good English here. Otherwise, when you get used to improper English, one day, you may forget what the correct English is.

However, it is okay if you make grammatical errors because you don't know how to write perfect English but intentional use of mis-spelling is unacceptable. We are foreigners. Everyone unintentionally makes mistakes.

We need your co-operation.

Thanks testmagic members.

Sincerely,

Knok

• 5 weeks later...

:tup:

Why do we need capital letters at the beginning of sentences and titles?

The proper use of capitals is important in helping people to read more easily. Capitals help to clarify sentence breaks and draw eyes to the start of a sentence or paragraph.

Michael

Native English speaker just trying to help people who post using proper English.

• 1 month later...

After we are trying very hard to make the posts easier to read. Punctuation, abbreviation, and capital letters are our concerns related to the textese. We all are pharmacists and we don't want this to happen. Please read.

1. FDA Safety Page:

Stemming Drug Errors from Abbreviations.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/MedErrors/nameAbbreviations.pdf

2. Link to Punctuation:

Punctuation handout.html

Comma (punctuation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Punctuation - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

3. Abbreviation:

Abbreviations

Abbreviations

4. Capital Letters:

Capital Letters

Capital Letters - Examples

We don't want any of you to mess up your English here. I hope that we all benefit from these links.

• 5 months later...

You can rest assured that moderators look at many posts and take any appropriate action needed. You can also be certain that moderators will not penalise a member with limited knowledge of English who makes a genuine mistake in using the language; TestMagic Forums are not exams, they exist to help people improve their English.

That aim of the forums is why Textese is disliked - it can confuse people with limited command of English and hinder their attempts to improve. Deliberately using expressions like plz, u, r, coz, wat, 4 and so on does not help people who have come here to learn to improve their English, indeed it can actively mislead them. Failure to use capitals is not only bad English, it makes text less easy to read and understand. Apart from presenting problems to readers use of Textese may also get the writer into bad habits.

I think that the problem is partly due to the recent growth of texting on phones. People carry the conventions they use there, where they are usually communicating only with those they know, over to public boards where their post may be read by hundreds or even thousands of others throughout the world. I also notice that many, though admittedly not all, posts that use Textese appear to have been rattled off quickly with little thought given to the actual content. That may be appropriate for an internet chatroom but I believe TestMagic deserves greater care and respect.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Textese categories:

u, ur, i, hai, thx, thanx, gr8, coz, im, i m, pls ----> Textese

You, your, I, Hi, Thanks, Great, Because, I'm, Please------>correct English.

If you do not start sentences with capital letters-----> Textese

(.) must be at the end of a sentence instead of (,).

(?) must be at the end of a question.

(') must be in didn't, don't, won't, or where needed.

Please use only one (,), (!), or (?). Do not use (???), (,,,), or (!!!!).

Using multiple punctuations also is considered to be the textese.

Title of your posts should be capitalized.

Otherwise, your posts will be edited and an infraction will be given.

If you want this forum to serve you, please make the forum easy to read.

Thank you very much.

• 5 months later...
Hi members,

It has been a while that this forum has been started. We are in an academic forum. Your messages are valuable assets to others. They are not deleted when you shut down your computer as you do in a chat room.

We need your cooperation.

Please read:

1. Plese use proper English.

You would like to reduce your time. Readers may have to spend more time trying to understand your English.

Example:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/toefl-grammar/67374-i-wanna-develop-error-free-english.html

2 Please make testmagic an abbreviation free zone.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/lounge/28655-make-tm-abbreviation-free-zone.html

3. Have dictionary gone out of fashion?

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/lounge/47758-have-dictionaries-gone-out-fashion.html

I can't imagine if a foreign pharmacist uses a lot of abbreviations to his/her co-workers, doctors, patients, or starts a sentence without a capital letter. I believe that they will be insulted by their American co-workers. Therefore, please try to develop your good English here. Otherwise, when you get used to improper English, one day, you may forget what the correct English is.

However, it is okay if you make grammatical errors because you don't know how to write perfect English but intentional use of mis-spelling is unacceptable. We are foreigners. Everyone unintentionally makes mistakes.

We need your co-operation.

Thanks testmagic members.

Sincerely,

Knok

In behalf of all other members in this forum let me say sorry for using abbreviations,short cuts and sometimes use of our native language.I promise to do it better next time.Thanks a lot. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...