Urch Forums

Toefl Ibt

pharma12

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your information. Good jobs.:)

We should collect all complaints and send them to NABP. I am continuing working on collecting information. You can send to IPHARM-US address or email to Ipharm-us email address too. Make sure that you receive the acknowledgement letter from IPHARM-US.

Any complaints that are communicated with ETS by mail, phone, or in this web site should be copy and send it to NABP and Ipharm-us.

We need to keep track with all the complaints ourselves to make sure that the number of complaints are huge. Please send them to IPHARM-US. As you know, ETS ignored most of the complaints when we sent by email. Then, we will send all the copies together to verify that the complaints are true. We don't make that up.

Thanks again.

Knok

Please read this newsletter carefully.

http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/newsletters/NABP/nabp082008.pdf

Public starts to focus on medication errors. This time, a Hollywood Star starts a foundation for stopping medication errors. What can you do?

Anyone who lives near Pasadena, CA, or lives in a driving distance, please contact me or Yashak. You can help. Thanks. :)

Hi,

Its a very good news, I would like to thank you all for your efforts.But, I am concerned about getting internship once nabp made their decision.I know we are not able to find one with 26 in speaking.

Pls flash some light on this issue. Let's everyone hopes for the best.

Thank you...

Folks,

Actually, NABP told us that they would work on this issue immediately, not the end of the year. They have been probably working on it since the meeting in May. The longer we wait, the pain we get from TOEFL iBT Speaking.

I wish that NABP would offer its own communication skills as doctors do.That is the best option for all pharmacists. Or if they accept a total score of TOEFL iBT since it is an integrated test, that would make it more reasonable for score requirement. A score of requirement of 26 on speaking is unreasonable. Only 11 out 100 candidates can receive a score of 26 on speaking. This seems to discourage future foreign pharmacists to enter the FPGEE program. At this statistics, only about half of FPGEE candidates who passed FPGEE can receive the FPGEC certificate. Please check my calculation a while ago. I posted somewhere. I cannot find it.

Where are you guys located? If you are in LA, CA, please let me know. I need your help as soon as possible.

Thanks. :)

Knok

Hi Guys

We hope for the best, God willing.

Knok, since NABP is addressing the issue do we still need to collect more complaints and proof ?

If yes, should I forward the correspondence mail between myself and ETS to IPHARM or copy and paste it in word document and then send it ?

Pls. reply .

World is built on hope.

Good Luck

Yes, it is safer and better that we collect information in our side as well. Documentation is a better evidence than words.

Please send it to IPHARM email or by mail. Either way is good. Thanks everybody. There will be no complaint if things are done right.

Hi KNOK thanks a lot for the huge effort. I found the page where you have posted some statistics on the TOEFL-IBT speaking. Here is the Link http://www.www.urch.com/forums/pharmacy-forum/88555-meeting-nabp-you-ready-talk-nabp-5.html#post586879

However I have a question. Did you guys only mentioned the speaking part of the TOEFL in your petition? Because, I actually have passed the speaking part several times but I always fail in the writing part. I hope that NABP will lower the requirement for the writing as well as the speaking section.

I am also wondering if you have some statistics on the TOEFL-writing.

Thanks again

I am struggling with this exam from last two years. I passed FPGEE in june 2006. I know, it'll sound crazy but one thing is keep on coming in my mind. I do not know why I am thinking what if they ask for 2 year requirement again? Then what we will do? I am praying with my heart. I do not know how many families are suffering due to this exam. I hope we will listen a good news.

I am struggling with this exam from last two years. I passed FPGEE in june 2006. I know, it'll sound crazy but one thing is keep on coming in my mind. I do not know why I am thinking what if they ask for 2 year requirement again? Then what we will do? I am praying with my heart. I do not know how many families are suffering due to this exam. I hope we will listen a good news.

FPGEE is an equivalency exam. If NABP asks for 2 year requirement again, why do Americans who graduate from American universities not require taking equivalency exam every two years?

In the same case, if we talk about public safety, why do nurses and doctors who participate in the same healthcare system not need to score a 26 on TOEFL iBT? If this test or score requirement has done fairly and right, there would be no complaint.

Also, a panel of healthcare that was set up a few years back is based on different scenerio, different raters, different groups of examinees with different backgrounds and knowledge base ( probably not all pharmacists), different exam questions, different groups of patients, doctors, and healthcare personnel and different test centers with different level of noises. That requirement should be used as a starting point more than holding it tightly.

In some universities such as UC of Berkley, the university does not use only TOEFLiBT score to select a teaching assistant (TA). It uses real students of that class to be panelists.

In this case, nobody knows who the panelists are, where they come from, what occupations they have, what language they speak or what their primary language is. In real life, such New York State, only half of NY residents speak English at home. More than half of FL residents do not speak English. They speak Spanish. Pharmacists who can speak Spanish or who are bilingual are more important than English speakers.

America has no official language. Even though English is considered major language of the world but the English requirement should not be set at high level by using content, or how ones can speak fast and perfect in 1 minute. That is harsh and inhumane.

With serious shortage of pharmacists, media bombard about medication errors rather than how well pharmacists can communicate in English. Language requirement should be set by average since TOEFL iBT is only a general English test.

However, TOEFL iBT may not be a good standard for language requirement for professionals. Those who hire pharmacists do not want to pay for pharmacists who cannot communicate. In CA and FL, companies prefer to hire pharmacists who can speak Spanish and English. In WA, NY, LA, and San Francisco, in some areas, companies prefer to hire pharmacists who can English and Chinese.

I would stress that America has heterogeneous population.

We all want to hear good news from NABP. News that will put an end to our sufferance. We must be ready by having backup plans to face the unpredictable. All scenarios are possible, so we need to have a strong backup plan that will unify us not only in the forum, but also on the ground. Keep praying for a happy end.

For those who have problems with TOEFL iBT, send your complaints to NABP - TASK FORCE, TOEFL iBT (NABP address), and IPHARM-US (IPHARM address).

We are not kids. We know how to collect information and go from there. Remember! Your complaints are evidence and document.

I asked you guys to send complaints about test administration with the complaints to NABP last year. How many of us sent that paper with the complaints? The paper contains test location, test date, test center number, your name and description of the problems. This also includes the rescoring issues.

It is always better that every one of us helps him/herself by writing the complaints. I need your help.

Best wishes,

Just a reminder for Knok, nurses have to get 26 on speaking for iBT, however they have a choice of iBT or IELTS. Let's hope the NABP will allow additional test such as IELTS or even TOEIC speaking. From what I understand TOEIC speaking is pretty easy (I only heard that it was easy, so I don't know for sure.).

Hi and many thanks for your informative postings. I am in the same dilemma with TOEFL ibt. I passed the FPGEE my first time with a very high score and have taken TOEFL ibt 4 times now. My top scores on the 4 components were 29, 29, 28 (speaking) and 27 (writing), but never on the same test date. It seems, like many I have read threads from, that when I "pass" speaking I do not "pass" writing and vice versa. Does that seem odd to any or all? Is there a pattern here?

I have to be careful here but it seems that the ETS test scorings are arbitrary and capricious in nature, let alone the repeated problems administration of the test (NEVER on time, once we waited outside for 4 hours in 35 degree weather wondering if the test would be administered at all...many people left and no contact was available from ETS nor the contracted test site.)

I have found that ETS has numerous Attorney General complaints in NJ and I would love to know more about the NABP newsletter article previously referenced. Is there a link to or does anyone have a copy of that?

Lastly, aside from me fighting this directly with the NABP, has anyone considered a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission? I am sure they would love to know how ETS operates and its apparent goal to exclude foreigners from practicing Pharmacy here in the US, the profits they make, the capricious decisions they make, etc.

Oktava

-

Lastly, aside from me fighting this directly with the NABP, has anyone considered a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission? I am sure they would love to know how ETS operates and its apparent goal to exclude foreigners from practicing Pharmacy here in the US, the profits they make, the capricious decisions they make, etc.

Oktava

-

Oktava,

Thanks for bringing it up.

Could you please post the address?

I am going to send my complaints and all complaints sent to me to this organization.

Thank you.

As TOEFLiBT customers, ETS is obliged to provide us with quality testing service that meets American Standards. For years, we have been subjected to unfair testing conditions that come with unrealistic score requirement. This is fraud.

Even though the 26 speaking score requirement was set by a different body, ETS as a respected education testing organization, through its quality assurance program - if it is staffed with competent and capable personnel, is obliged to advise score recipients, universities and professional credentialing bodies that utilize their services about this ambiguity. ETS's own research studies and scientific reports have proven a 26 speaking score requirement to be unrealistic, and yet, ETS has not recommended any corrective measures to address this uncertainty. Again, I personally regard this as first class fraud.

We have enough evidence to share with the Authorities, lets utilize them.

This is the right time to submit our legitimate complaint to the FTC's Division of Enforcement, which has the duty to litigate civil contempt and civil penalty actions to enforce federal court injunctions and administrative orders in FTC consumer protection cases. It also coordinates FTC actions with criminal law enforcement agencies through its Criminal Liaison Unit. This division develops, reviews, and enforces a variety of consumer protection rules. Let's utilize resources we have. Hopefully somebody is going to conduct investigation and come up with a reasonable solution.

Although FTC mostly deals with consumer product protection, we can still contact them because we are affected with ETS's trading practices that have concentrated on acquiring profits through administration of substandard test (TOEFLiBT). ETS has defrauded us a great deal, let us fight with them from all angles. One day we will emerge as victors, believe me....

Although FTC mostly deals with consumer product protection, we can still contact them because we are affected with ETS's trading practices that have concentrated on acquiring profits through administration of substandard test (TOEFLiBT). ETS has defrauded us a great deal, let us fight with them from all angles. One day we will emerge as victors, believe me.... Last edited by testtube07 : Yesterday at 11:48 PM.

Yes, good post. Remember we ARE consumers here. We pay monies to a company for fair and equitable testing and they aren't fulfilling their obligations...fraud, you say? That is the nicest assessment I could make.

The reason I suggested the FTC is because they deal with complaints across State lines and they are very interested in monopolies and companies that act in this manner with seemingly no regulation.

Their telephone number is 202-289-6092 and I would strongly suggest making contact with someone there to assure your complaint gets to the right hands. It is only a couple of days since I received my faux TOEFLibt scores so I haven't got a chance to call yet. I will post a contact name as soon as I get one.