Urch Forums

Virginia Pharmacists / Pharmacy Interns

APhA

Hi everyone!

I'll be going to Virginia end of September to start with my Internship. Just wondering who would be around the area as well. For new interns, maybe we can form a study group for our NAPLEX. For current Pharmacists, maybe we can just all meet up and form a community; or maybe you could support us new ones too with our review. It would be nice too to form a new circle (of friends)-- that's us hopefully. Not just all work and review, but fun, fulfillment and lasting friendships. :)

So those of you interested, just post here and we'll see how this goes.

Hope to see you all in Virginia!

(or... maybe other people in the neighboring east coast as well?;) )

APhA

Hi APhA! Good to hear that you will be working in the east coast. My sister lives in Maryland. I plan to apply as intern in areas in the east coast. Maybe in Maryland, Washington DC, Pennsylvania or maybe in Virginia as well. My problem is that, I don't know the states where there are a shortage of pharmacists. So, I am thinking of applying for a deficiency letter (internship license) in all the states that I mentioned. I am just afraid that if there are no openings in that state, then I will be rejected by my employer. Do you think I will do the right thing? One more thing, how much does it cost you in processing the working visa or is it your employer who shouldered everything? I have read your posts and I know that it will be impossible for me to find an employer right now. But I am just trying my luck since I am still here in the US. Anyway, I will be back in the Philippines before the year ends. If nothing happens, I'll try again 1st quarter next year. Thank you so much for all the help! Can I ask from what country are you from? Thanks again!

Hey that's great c12! See you in around soon then!

As to the Internship License/deficiency letter, that's what I did as well. I filed in 3 different states. I don't know of any state where there is no shortage. So the only thing to consider really is where one would be happy (do I like the place, do I have friends/family there, etc.). Luckily I got offers in those 3 states. The only real question is which one will work on your papers faster (atleast that was the case for me because some misfocusing happened to me and was left with only 1 month before USCIS accepts applications from employers).

Don't get me wrong, you will get no response/s from some, "our positions are currently filled up" from others but you will just have to work on it and try to send your applications to as much chains/stores as you can. It takes work. But the need is there.

Think your doing the right thing in trying to apply while there anyway. You lose nothing with trying. I also wouldn't ignore applying in non-chain pharmacies. As to the cost of applying for working visa, the employers will shoulder it. So... goodluck and hope to see you soon!

And hey! I'm from the Philippines too!! :)

(though don't think that should matter, I can be friends with anyone :) )

Again, goodluck with job hunting!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sure think the study group will be a good idea, especially since you'll be working at the same time.I tell you time flies by so fast and soon you'll be set to take NAPLEX and then will be wondering how to get round to start to study.But, if you start from day one, it makes it a lot easier when the time approaches.

I am done myself with the Internship, live in Maryland and about to take the NAPLEX.

I believe strongly, that 'all is well that starts well'