Urch Forums

GMAT score for PHD

rajna

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
do you know schools that admit students with a gmat of 580 or 600

Realistically, you're going to have to score at least a 650 (>70th percentile quantitative) to be considered for ANY finance PhD program. Even the lower-level schools require a high level of quantitative ability.

Based on the data in gradjournal.com, the lowest GMAT score for an admit is 680. But note that there are also a number of rejects for GMAT > 750. So, as it has been said many times, GMAT alone is not sufficient.

I like what tkkoh is saying here. GMAT is not the only factor going to get you in but if it is too low it can be a killer. The GMAT is a test of your intellectual horsepower so it tells the admissions committee if your 3.5+ GPA was from tireless studying or because your are naturally intelligent. The admissions committees know that some of the material is going to be too difficult for those that aren't naturally intelligent but work extremely hard for their grades.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

You can get a job teaching, researching reasonably and making a reasonable income simply coming from a aacsb accredited school; many schools that do not offer finance still offer a finance focus that will allow you to get a tenure track job at an aacsb accredited institution.

My father in law got into such a program with a GMAT 600 verbal heavy: with funding. Ps according to the aacsb webpage the following have finance PhD programs and accept people at or below 620.

* School Location %*Fit

Cleveland State University, Nance College of Business Administration Cleveland, OH

Florida Atlantic University, College of Business Boca Raton, FL 100

Florida Int'l University, College of Business Administration Miami, FL 100

Louisiana Tech University, College of Business Ruston, LA 100

Mississippi State University, College of Business

Edited by rsaylors

back to GMAT score for PhD,

is there a certain "desired" score split for different disciplines, eg for quant based subjects the quant score should be higher than the verbal score - ?

I am asking because, although my overall score is quite good (750), my Quant score is lower than my Verbal score - and I am applying for a quant based subject (Accounting).

My score is

Quant: 45 (86%) Verbal: 44 (97%) Total: 750 (98%)

Hum... either not all v44/q45s are created equal or you have a q49/v44, which would bring you to about the 85% on Q, which would be about a 760.

http://www.mba.com/mba/thegmat/gmatscoresandscorereports/whatyourpercentilerankingmeans.htm

Either way, from what I've seen most good universities have a 'joke' pile for those with less than 80% in either sub section.

Ups sorry - you are right, my Q score is 49 (not 44), and I am right on that table under 750 overall, and 49 (86%) on Quant. My worries were about Verbal higher than Quant (97% vs 86%). Either way, since both are above 80% I would probably pass the 'cut off' line. I do understand the GMAT score is just one of the elements and it has a large margin of error... Since this is the component of the application I have most control over right now, I wanted to make it as good as I could.

Ups sorry - you are right, my Q score is 49 (not 44), and I am right on that table under 750 overall, and 49 (86%) on Quant. My worries were about Verbal higher than Quant (97% vs 86%). Either way, since both are above 80% I would probably pass the 'cut off' line. I do understand the GMAT score is just one of the elements and it has a large margin of error... Since this is the component of the application I have most control over right now, I wanted to make it as good as I could.

Do not feel like you failed just because Q is great but not amazing; keep in mind that even accounting involves a great deal of english proficiency. You are applying to be trained to be a writer. Your scores are good enough for any program to be reasonable to apply to; don't let the 99%ers around here tell you otherwise.

What matters now isn't re-taking GMAT, what matters is having a focused research interest that meshes well with the faculty at the schools you want to go to. Find references and write an intent letter that lets the AC know you are a dedicated scholar, a mature student and a proactive lover of knowledge.

I have a similar score - which by the way is an amazing score that you should not worry about for one instant. From conversations I've had, one of the biggest issues professors see in applicants is such a discrepancy in GMAT sections (i.e. high quant and very low verbal). Accounting is not as quant-focused as some fields (i.e. finance and econ) and most people truly underestimate the role effective writing/presenting plays in the career. They would rather see a 49Q/45V than a 51Q/35V. Competence in math is a necessity but being a superstar is not a pre-requisite to being a great accounting researcher. Anyway, you should feel encouraged in every way as that score will not be a liability in any way but it is never a bad idea to take some supplemental math to say i can improve on that 49. Best of luck - the score will provide you an in but it's up to you to prove you belong.

thanks again, and I am taking math classes right now that in fact are much harder than the GMAT math )))

I am proud of my Verbal btw since I am non-native Eng speaker

didn't mean to boast here, just venting since I have noone around me right now who knows what GMAT is...

You can get a job teaching, researching reasonably and making a reasonable income simply coming from a aacsb accredited school; many schools that do not offer finance still offer a finance focus that will allow you to get a tenure track job at an aacsb accredited institution.

My father in law got into such a program with a GMAT 600 verbal heavy: with funding. Ps according to the aacsb webpage the following have finance PhD programs and accept people at or below 620.

* School Location %*Fit

Cleveland State University, Nance College of Business Administration Cleveland, OH

Florida Atlantic University, College of Business Boca Raton, FL 100

Florida Int'l University, College of Business Administration Miami, FL 100

Louisiana Tech University, College of Business Ruston, LA 100

Do you really want to choose your PhD program based on who has the lowest admission standards? I strongly suggest you re-evaluate that decision. The four year program will determine, to a large extent, the rest of your professional life.

Do you really want to choose your PhD program based on who has the lowest admission standards? I strongly suggest you re-evaluate that decision. The four year program will determine, to a large extent, the rest of your professional life.

Clearly you want to do the best you can; but some can only play the game at a 620 and those people shouldn't be told they have no place in academia, or have to put up with people saying "You CANT do finance unless you get a 720+".

Why do you think there is such a plethora of finance and dearth of CIS applicants on this board? Money, right? Think about it, should you be choosing what will essentially define you as an intellectual based on the difference between 100k and 130k average starting pay?

People do it all the time; but having attended a program with a GMAT average in the 500s I can assure you that there are few PhD programs that will fail to train you to be a reasonable academician.

Hello,

These scores are excellent. I realise that to get in a top school one must have a top score, however how stringent are they regarding these scores.

I had a bad test and scored 600. I realize that is low, but will they disconsider all my other achievements and not even read what will be a spectacular personal stament simply because my score is so low.

I am an international student, but from an English speaking country/background, planning to apply for a Phd in Marketing (behavioural).

Thank you!

Let's be honest Hopefull, if you can't get better than a 600 on your GMAT then you probably won't survive a top school anyway; I don't remember your focus, but for a 600ish for finance focus

These are safety schools, they may not 'focus' on finance, but if you go to the web-page you may find that you will still recive the training required to teach at an AACSB accredited university.

Missouri-St. Louis, University of, College of Business Administration St. Louis, MO

North Texas, University of, College of Business Denton, TX

Texas A&M Int'l University, College of Business Administration Laredo, TX

Texas at El Paso, University of, College of Business Administration El Paso, TX

Texas-Pan American, University of, College of Business Administration Edinburg, TX

Toledo, University of, College of Business Administration Toledo, OH

Here are the "fit" schools for you:

Cleveland State University, Nance College of Business Administration

Louisiana Tech University, College of Business

Here are the "reach" schools for you:

Binghamton, State University of New York, School of Management Binghamton, NY

Connecticut, University of, School of Business Storrs, CT

Florida Atlantic University, College of Business Boca Raton, FL

Florida Int'l University, College of Business Administration Miami, FL

Florida State University, College of Business Tallahassee, FL

Kent State University, College of Business Administration and Graduate School of Management Kent, OH

Memphis, University of, Fogelman College of Business and Economics Memphis, TN

Mississippi, University of, School of Business Administration University, MS

North Carolina at Charlotte, University of, Belk College of Business Charlotte, NC

Old Dominion University, College of Business and Public Administration Norfolk, VA

Texas at Arlington, University of, College of Business Administration Arlington, TX

Texas Tech University, Jerry S. Rawls College of Business Administration Lubbock, TX

Ok, thanks. I wasn't even thinking of Finance, numbers are the problem. My focus is behavioural Marketing. I think it will be best to perhaps take time to study for the GRE instead as it is less math oriented. I got a perfect score on the essay section of the GMAT but maybe that doesn't really matter if the numerical score is low.

Thanks for your responses.