Urch Forums

Strenghen PHD marketing, phd marketing 2013

rahman

The MBA won't help much, unless you use the time to network with good research faculty. Otherwise, get a research masters that's relevant to the type of marketing you want to research. For quant marketing, think about a masters in economics, statistics, applied math, etc. For behavioral, think communications, marketing, or statistics.

Thank you for reply. what you said make a lot of sense.

I did ask my prof. from makerting dept in my undergrad, he did lots of marketing stuff in real world and got his phd in marketing. This is what he said, "I would go for the MBA...more current analysis that can be used as you move forward"

what do you think of that? I would imagine he meant, if you can't go for phd, can still use mba in corporate, and if i do go for phd might help a bit. killing two birds with one stone.

Well, you probably want to decide which bird you want to hit. Doing an MBA is fine, it is just not the best choice for a phd. Likewise, reworking your schedule to prepare for a phd program is fine, it just will not be the best choice for working at a marketing company. Unfortunately, there is no way to have it both ways. I am not advocating that you totally give up on one or the other. I am just saying that if you do decide to go down the middle road, it does not let you achieve the most in either area. However, keeping both doors open can be useful. When I decided on a phd in accounting, I gave up a lot of other things.

phdhope, I really appreciate your response. Thank you.

I am struggling to decide what option would be best for me. I thought MBA would not be difficult to get in compared to phd. so, thinking to go to UMinnesota or Uwisconsin- Madison, Iowa for MBA,both 2nd tier. Regarding getting MA in markeing for behavior phd down the road, looks hard. Lets say i get MA in marketing, if i can not get into any phd, then do not know what i can do with MA marketing. But if i get MBA, and then not get admitted for phd, can still use MBA.

Please share your thought, recommendation!

• 4 months later...
I received my first Masters in Mass Communications, which dealt a lot more with media research, advertising effects etc. Did a great thesis research study that was presented at a national conference. I too wanted to continue by getting a PhD in Marketing, yet my undergrad and masters were not in the business discipline, so I went with the MBA. Hopefully the combination of the two masters, my career experience (20 years) and successful research will pay dividends, but that is yet to be seen.

• 2 months later...
phdhope, I really appreciate your response. Thank you.

I am struggling to decide what option would be best for me. I thought MBA would not be difficult to get in compared to phd. so, thinking to go to UMinnesota or Uwisconsin- Madison, Iowa for MBA,both 2nd tier. Regarding getting MA in markeing for behavior phd down the road, looks hard. Lets say i get MA in marketing, if i can not get into any phd, then do not know what i can do with MA marketing. But if i get MBA, and then not get admitted for phd, can still use MBA.

Please share your thought, recommendation!

rahman,

Have you made any decisions. I am in your boat as well, but I decided to go for a MS in Marketing. I now need to decide which school to go to and if I can't get into a phd program, what MSM program will be the better investement in terms of job availability.

You have a BBA, so find a one-year MBA program. You could probably get in this year and, assuming you like the fall, you could apply for PhD programs the following year...of course, you'd have to move quickly and get involved with some research active faculty in order to get LORs in...have you taken the GMAT and/or what is your UGPA?

Alternatively, Iowa and Wisc have good PhD programs, and Minn is solid, so if you go to one of those schools and impress the faculty then there's a non-zero probability you could get accepted for one of their PhD programs. Just be strategic...