Urch Forums

LOW GMAT, Profile evaluation (Marketing PhD)!

claudioliang

Hello guys,

Now,I am working on my phd application, and my profile is below, please give me some advise:

Undergraduate: Major: Finance; Minor: Accounting from a chinese university. GPA: NEARLY 3.7

Graduate: Master of science in Economics from Hong Kong University of Sceinece &Technology (HKUST) which is one of the best business school in Asia with AACSB. GPA:B+ (~3.4)

Work ex: one year

Research ex: have published one peper in one of the core academic jounal in China.

GMAT : 640 (Q:49,V:27)

Now I want to apply some Marketing phd programs in North America, but as you see, my GMATscore and my Master GPA may be is too low to make me competitive in the good b-schools. SO could you give me some advise? what kind of school I should apply? And how about the UTA,UTSA, Louisiana Tech U, Old Dominion U and Waye state U? Manitoba U and Concordia U in Canada?

Thank you very much!

Edited by claudioliang

Concorida has brutal funding. It titles the PhD program as "self-funded" and provides something like $15k total. Manitoba is also pretty sketchy when it comes to funding, with no guarantee of anything. Average GMAT at Manitoba is 650 btw.

Thank you for your reply! How probability I can be admitted by these two schools in you opinion? And, do you know any imformation about the placement of Marketing Phd program in these schools? Academic or industry?

• 4 months later...
Hello, I have already been admitted by U of Manitoba, but they were working on the funding allocation, which is not guaranteed. How is that marketing phd program? I only know that J. Argo graduated from that program. Is there any further information about the graduate placement and the reputation of this program? And how is the salary of phd graduate from this level b-school in canada?

Claudioliang - You have a good profile. You might be competitive at most T20 - T50 programs in USA. It will really depend on how much you are ready to invest in your application, how ambitious you are and are you ready to spend one more year strengthening your application. Key decision points for me (I am assuming you are applying for quant marketing and you are around 25):

1- Find an RA/TA position at HKUST (or any other HK university - preferably in the business school)?

2- Re-sit GMAT? A score of Q49 and V32 will bring you closer to 700. If you improve your Q in the process, even better. Try sample papers of GRE too. If you are able to do better in GRE verbal, maybe its worth it.

3- Attend marketing conferences/seminars at HKUST, discuss with the professors and thrash out coherent research interests.

1 and 3 are critical for good LORs and writing a credible SOP.

All the best