Urch Forums

Wish to pursue PhD in Accounting but dont know which MS Program to chose...

drbbbs

Hello,

I am 26, graduated with an BBA in Accounting with a 3.7 GPA and have been working in as a Tax Consultant for a private wealth management firm for the past 2 years. GMAT above 700.

At this point, I realized that I wish to be in academia and decided to go back to school to get my MS.

Which MS do you recommend I complete in order to get accepted into the PhD program. My choices are:

-Quantitative Methods and Modeling

-Statistics

-Mathematics

Which one of these will help me get into the PhD program?

Thanks!

You will need three years at time of enrollment in the phd program to be eligible for ads funding. However, you will also need to commit to becoming a tax researcher. I think those masters could all bring some benefit. I would also consider a masters in economics. BYU's preparation program would be a good option as well, I've seen they've had very good placement for their graduates.

I'm not even sure if the original poster would be eligible for ADS funding.

You have to have three years of public accounting experience, I am not sure if tax consulting work in a private wealth management firm would qualify.

In terms of masters programs, the BYU PhD prep program is great, and their placements have been quite strong. However, if you are not LDS you may feel out of place at BYU. I think quantitative methods, statistics, or mathematics would all be good choices, in addition like a previous poster mentioned, I would look at econ masters degrees as well.

We discussed this on the board maybe about 5 months ago. NYU does have a program, however, it is a non-degree granting program that is about four terms long. NYU's faculty all seem to focus narrowly into particular sub-topics of financial accounting so I imagine if you want to do managerial research it would be less beneficial. The other thing I will note is that neither the web nor this forum have any information about the program. I think I would be concerned about that because it might mean the program is not held in repute or that the school does not focus or dedicate a lot of resources to the program. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

I wonder if this is the only Pre-doctoral program offered in the NYC area... NYU's requirements to get accepted are pretty much the same as the regular PhD program >700 GMAT, 2 Rec Letters, etc.

Are there any other programs that I can enroll in that will prep me for the PhD? At this point I'm doing an MS in Stat but wanted to switch to Quant, do you think this is a good idea? I want to be as prepared as possible and maybe shorten the number of years in the PhD program.