Urch Forums

Profile evaluation: PhD finance or Accounting (Age:37)

wuwawa

MBA in Finance from an top 20 US university. GPA 4.0 in the past 3 semesters.

Undergraduate from a foreign university. Class rank top 5%

GMAT: 780 AWA 5.5

15 years of work experience (engineering) before MBA

No research experience. All of my professors say they are willing to write RL for me. But I think they can only say I did well in their classes and they would not be able to say anything about my research potentials.

Due to my age and lack of research experience, I am looking for some schools that are relatively easy to get in. But people are saying nowadays every program is hard to get in anyway.......

I want to do something to improve my chance in the next several months. What do you think I should do ?

First, as JoF said, your GMAT solidly impressive, and ad-coms will see that. You didn't indicate what GPA top 5% is; nor did you indicate your overall graduate GPA.

Second at 37 age is an issue, but there are top schools that will still accept you; Look at the profiles of the students, if no one is over 32 then you know you need to do more digging before applying there.

"Due to my age and lack of research experience, I am looking for some schools that are relatively easy to get in. "Few people start with research experience. It isn't a nail in your coffin, it's just not your ace in the hole.

I want to do something to improve my chance in the next several months. What do you think I should do ?
This is hard to say; I don't know when you want to apply, you didn't indicate a research interest (or even area).

If you could offer that information and a little insight as to your motivation for trying to get a Ph.D., then we'd be able to advise you better.

Congrats on your great GMAT. I would stick with a phd in finance. Are you considering a phd for 2011? The deadlines are pretty much past for that. I do think being at age 37, with little finance work experience, and no research experience will hurt you in the application process pretty severly. I would argue that it would preclude you from the top 5 schools of finance automatically. Since it appears you will be applying next year, I would just try to look at what schools you might be interested in and what research you might wish to pursue.