Urch Forums

interview invitation form UArk, any suggestions?

tahahavakhor

Hi folks

Today I recieved an email inviting for a phone interview(Im an international student) from University of Arkansas. By the way, as it's my first interview, I have no clue what will be asked and how should I respond. Further, what are the chances when they want to make an interview? do they interview a large batch of applicants? I hope you can help me guys:)

First off. Congrats! I like UARk people. I would just be yourself. Look over their website and think of what questions you would have before committing to their phd program. I would also review the application I sent to Uark and try to determine what questions they might have about me. While I can only speak from accounting, my hunch is that they are interviewing a very select group of people. UArk seems to prefer that method even though I haven't heard from anyone else this year. You have a very good chance at ending up there. (think you started out at 1-3% and now you are up to 30-80% likelihood of getting in) So good luck and keep us posted. (And be sure to be awake, during their phone call) I know calls from Iran to the US can be at odd hours sometimes.

One thing to watch out for is some programs do ask technical questions in Finance interviews. It is rare but more common than you think (I would assume 25% of the top 75). Usually this happens in two cases when they (the adcom) likes the candidate but they have some technical failings in their profile or the adcom asks everyone they interview. The latter is worse because it is usually more of a greuling session while the former is more of a "I hope he/she knows the answers". With that in mind, do not go crazy studying, but I would know some 'simple' things such as: how to answer basic Calculus I-III questions, Statistics/Probability questions, and Finance questions. The first two I bet most people applying know, but nerves gets in the way. The hardest part for people comes in the discipline questions because I think most applicants have the Math but few have the subject intution so review some basic Finance principles. Lastly, be mindful that I have heard of a few schools that adcom members will go down your transcript and ask you questions about classes (even non-quant classes). For example, a friend of mine was asked put Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates in chronological order because Ancient Philosophy was on his transcript (he got it right).

just passed the interview. it started with predictable questions: why to choose PhD ? Why IS concentration? Why UoArk? these were the first interviewer's questions(the director of the program)

then another professor asked me: what specifically I would do in phd and what are my research focus? what tools can I use in research?

and the last question was kind of suprising by another professor: when you are so young,why do you think PhD is the true path for you? have you considered working in industry?(I thought it's a plus for me when Im 24 , but I think that they have got skeptical about my age and my decisions!)

what do you think guys? the latter professor has made me so pessimistic about their verdict.

Congratuations on having it over with!

Regarding the last question, I think it perfectly normal to enquire (I'd do too, if I were the professor on the adcom). And at your age, anyone 5 years senior in age and position may sound sceptical ))) Don't worry, there is nothing you could do about your age now anyway, and if this is your only disadvangtage I'd say you are in a great position.

There is no way of knowing what someone thinks when you cannot see their face (and even then!). So I'd say, relax and just wait for the outcome.

PS I am on the interviewing committee for an MBA programme, and one of the objectives of the interview for us is to find out the applicant's English skill... and confirm that his answers are consistent with his application (ie he wrote it himself). So it may be as simple as that.

Congratuations on having it over with!

Regarding the last question, I think it perfectly normal to enquire (I'd do too, if I were the professor on the adcom). And at your age, anyone 5 years senior in age and position may sound sceptical ))) Don't worry, there is nothing you could do about your age now anyway, and if this is your only disadvangtage I'd say you are in a great position.

There is no way of knowing what someone thinks when you cannot see their face (and even then!). So I'd say, relax and just wait for the outcome.

PS I am on the interviewing committee for an MBA programme, and one of the objectives of the interview for us is to find out the applicant's English skill... and confirm that his answers are consistent with his application (ie he wrote it himself). So it may be as simple as that.

it was relaxing to know an adcom's point of view.thank you Khema. the results will be out in 2 weeks, I keep posting about it.

• 3 weeks later...
they told me that they would send their decisions out by Feb 15th, by the way they have not yet. I know that the accounting department has made decisions but am not sure about other departments. has anybody else, who has been interviewed, heard from them ?

I say give them at least another week. If you still don't hear anything back, then email or call to ask.