Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation: Phd in Accounting

bmetz2605

Hello everyone, I've been reading the forum for a while and found very interesting and helpful ideas. So I thought it might be the time that I can ask for your opinions regarding my profile:

GMAT: 600. Retaking-based upon practice exams expected score of 650

Undergraduate: Accounting, GPA: 3.33, Oklahoma State

Certifications: CPA

full time work experience:3 years at Regional Accounting Firm as financial statement auditor.

Additional Course work: Calc I, currently enrolled in Calc II, Intermediate Mirco Economics, and Graduate Statistics.

Realizations: for admission into PhD programs and/or Accounting Doctoral Scholars program a GMAT score is 700+ is need based upon other resume items.

Possible Alternatives: Masters Degree????? Most Acct. Masters programs are geared towards CPA certification, rather than PhD programs and already have CPA. Would a master in Economics be the most beneficial preparation for a PhD in Accounting? It seems most of the course work is interrelated for the Accounting PhD level.

Thanks in advance!

The advice I've been given is that a master's in something like econometrics or statistics would be most beneficial. Have you applied for 2011 admission? Or are you considering applying for 2012 and later?

And yes, the GMAT is a little low considering that some (of the top) programs have an average GMAT intake of 750ish. Depends on which schools you're aiming for I guess.

Yeah, I think going for a masters would probably be the best route. Even then, your undergrad GPA will still be what it is, but at least you will hopefully have a grad GPA that is higher. It is also very crucial that you raise your gmat score. There are schools that accept people lower than 650 but your options expand greatly the higher above 650 you get. Good luck!