Urch Forums

Accounting Ph.D - Profile Evaluation

fatzbeck

Thank you in advance for all that reply. I've been lurking on the forum for 9 months or so now. Thought I'd get a little evaluation to bolster or weaken my confidence as I wait for communication from programs.

I have a BS in Accounting from a school in the Big 12. 3.1 GPA. (3.85 last 60 hours which included most of my Accounting and Finance classes)

No Masters.

GMAT 710 (41V/47Q) 4.5 AWA

Took Calc I (A), Calc II (B), Linear Algebra (B).

CPA

5 years of Corporate work experience. Staff Accountant, Internal Audit, Financial Analyst. No Public experience.

LOR's from 3 professors - two Full and one associate.

I'm mostly interested in Capital Markets, Finanical Reporting, and International Accounting.

I've applied to the following schools for Fall 2011. Iowa, Indiana, Penn St., Wisconsin, Missouri, Virginia Tech, LSU.

I tried to follow the advice that I heard on the forums to shoot for the stars on a few and then some that I thought I had a decent chance of admittance. I didn't really apply to any that I thought were saftey schools. I have also Applied to a MAcc program, in the event that I don't get any offers, and would rather due that and re-take the GMAT to apply again for 2012 then go to too low of a ranked program.

If anybody could give me their thoughts on my chances of getting into these programs especially the bottom half of my list. I would appreciate it. I'm starting to hear about fly-outs and I haven't heard anything so I'm getting nervous.

Well, I will try to paint as accurate of a picture as possible. I think your GMAT is good and your work experience helps but that GPA is way low. Without a master's degree too. Indiana is definitely out of the picture and it appears that Missouri, Iowa, and Wisconsin have already contacted some of their top applicants. So I think you are looking at VT, LSU, and Penn St.