Urch Forums

interview tips for rconomics PhD program

ecpfdq

First I have to say that I am an economist and people in the economics PhD forums advised me to post my question on this forum. I am having a interview next Wednesday at Hec Lausanne for admission and financial support to their school for the economics PhD program. The interview will be held in Lausanne(yes I need to travel there). The financial support will be in the form of job requirement(TA /RA or other). I wanted to ask what should expect to be asked during the interview and how should I better prepare my self.It also happens to know that the people interviewing me will be two professors from the economics department if that helps any. The first will be the Chair and the second one will be someone I will be likely working with if admitted

It's too hard to guess what it might be like. It could be a "hey we already decided to give you a spot but we just wanted to make sure" meeting. Or it could be "we're going to grill you to make sure you know what you're talking about". Or, it could be anything in between. Have you ever had an interview before? If so, prepare for it like you have done in the past. If not, make sure you know everything you claim to know or might be expected to know.

Not entirely sure why people in the economics phd forum advised you that business phd members are better suited to answer your questions regarding an economics phd program interview. That said, everyone has different interview expereinces - mine generally were a full day on the campus with about 6 1-hour interview slots with various faculty and students in my field of interest. The interviews were pretty unstructured and informal - some professors picked my brain on accounting issues while some just shot the breeze but the most recurring questions were why a phd, why this specific program, how my research interests evolved, how I was preparing, etc. I generally let the interviewer dictate the tone of the interview but I researched all of them and had at least 3 topics I could ask about if the conversation stalled (things specific to the interviewer - either about a specific paper, their philosophy, an experience they had on their vita, etc.). But just relax and be yourself. Good luck