Urch Forums

2014 Admission Results: Operations Management

snickers

Originally Posted by hedgequant

In an effort to steal a well thought-out idea from the econ board, I propose we keep all admissions results in this thread. I think rumors/rumblings/unsubstantiated talk should stay in the sweat thread, and leave this thread to be only actual results.

Please try and keep comments (even congratulatory ones) to the sweat thread so that this thread has a high signal/noise ratio.

I suggest other disciplines make a similar thread so we can keep things compartmentalized.

I guess I'll get the ball rolling for this thread. I believe the following information would be helpful for management applicants:

Institution Name:

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB):

Date of Notification:

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail):

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted):

Posted on GradCafe?

Comments:

Good luck everyone

P.S: Since we already have a thread for Management started by fourteenstix, and since I mis-posted there, here's the dedicated thread for OM/IT :) Hope to hear from you guys soon!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Institution Name: University of Maryland

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Operations Management

Date of Notification: 1/28/2014

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): email

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Invited to their on-campus meet and greet which is basically the interview

Posted on GradCafe?: Yes!

Comments: 2 down, 8 more to go!

Nope. Wharton seems to be on a roll for other programs though.

In checking Gradcafe, it is totally quiet with both OPIM and Harvard TOM. I put a spreadsheet together with a projection of notification date based on past years (again, data reported on Gradcafe) and I put notification from Harvard at ~February 1 and Wharton OPIM at ~February 15. Problem is, there are so many funky things that happen with reported data on Gradcafe, it's hard to have too much confidence. But it appears fairly certain that no interview invites or notifications for Harvard TOM or Wharton OPIM have been sent out yet.

In checking Gradcafe, it is totally quiet with both OPIM and Harvard TOM. I put a spreadsheet together with a projection of notification date based on past years (again, data reported on Gradcafe) and I put notification from Harvard at ~February 1 and Wharton OPIM at ~February 15. Problem is, there are so many funky things that happen with reported data on Gradcafe, it's hard to have too much confidence. But it appears fairly certain that no interview invites or notifications for Harvard TOM or Wharton OPIM have been sent out yet.

Wharton has moved forward with other departments though (even sent official acceptances already!), so OPIM could be out anytime now I guess. I did email them (the phd contact email) and did not receive any response.

In checking Gradcafe, it is totally quiet with both OPIM and Harvard TOM.

GradCafe seems to be quiet for almost all the OM programs. Except INSEAD's interviews, the others are just 1 post per university for like 2-3 universities. Or maybe I am missing something.

I'm still reeling over getting an acceptance e-mail from a non-business program, only to have it retracted later (there was some mistake and every applicant got an acceptance letter). Getting an interview invite for OPIM or TOM would make that sting go away, though.

thats really cruel!

Institution Name: University of Pittsburgh

Concentration: Business Analytics & Operations

Date of Notification: 1/29/2014

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): email from professor

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Fly out for on-campus interviews

Posted on GradCafe?: Not yet!

Comments: First contact of the cycle. Exciting!

Institution Name: Texas A&M, Mays

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Information & Operations Management

Date of Notification: 2/4/2014

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Accepted

Posted on GradCafe?: Yes, just now

Comments: My first ever PhD acceptance letter!

Congrats!!!! That's the best way to get the ball rolling, haha.

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Fly out for on-campus interviews

You guys are so lucky. I still haven't heard back from most of the schools I have applied to. :(

Congratulations guys :) Finally, some news!

Wharton OPIM started to review application a month ago. Interviews were sent out long ago...

Do you have first hand experience? (you yourself or someone whom you know personally getting an interview?)

I am asking because i need to rule Wharton out so that I can confirm another potential offer, the Prof. from another school asked me whether I will "definitely join his school if an offer was made" and I need to reply to him. Email to Wharton is unanswered after more than a week now.

Do you have first hand experience? (you yourself or someone whom you know personally getting an interview?)

I am asking because i need to rule Wharton out so that I can confirm another potential offer, the Prof. from another school asked me whether I will "definitely join his school if an offer was made" and I need to reply to him. Email to Wharton is unanswered after more than a week now.

That's not ethical! If this school is your last choice and none of the other choices has contacted you, they're putting you through a big risk.

And INSEAD TOM shortlisted 15 people this year no wonder so many posts on GC.

I heard the same thing. Plus, I hear usually nobody rejects Insead's offer. So, the chance of getting in is pretty low.

Wharton OPIM started to review application a month ago. Interviews were sent out long ago...

Are you sure about Wharton? What about Columbia GSB or CMU Tepper?

It is exactly ethical, however if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the only school you would pick above this program is Wharton and Wharton has sent out acceptances, it doesn't hurt to say that you would take it. On the other hand, the best response to this is probably something along the lines of,

"Your program is definitely one of the schools at the top of my list. I would have a difficult time saying no to it, but I will need a little more time to do decide." If they've signed the graduate school thingy, that I forget the name of, this response should satisfy them.

It is exactly ethical, however if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the only school you would pick above this program is Wharton and Wharton has sent out acceptances, it doesn't hurt to say that you would take it. On the other hand, the best response to this is probably something along the lines of,

"Your program is definitely one of the schools at the top of my list. I would have a difficult time saying no to it, but I will need a little more time to do decide." If they've signed the graduate school thingy, that I forget the name of, this response should satisfy them.

I agree with the bearded war god. Unless if he shaved for his interview in which he's just... oh nevermind.

I think it is ethical, and you should respond to the professor. He is trying to keep you in the loop and you should keep him in the loop.

The graduate school thingy was a resolution by the Council of Graduate Schools (I don't think they tried too hard to name this council). This really covers offers of financial support, fellowships, graduate assistantships, etc., but these are typically tied to the offer of admissions as well. There might be another signed thingy that I'm not aware of.

You can check for your school.

http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf